Current Affairs PDF Sales

RIL, BP commence Gas production from Asia’s Deepest Gas Field ‘R-cluster’ situated in Krishna-Godavari Basin

AffairsCloud YouTube Channel - Click Here

AffairsCloud APP Click Here

Reliance and BP start gas production from Asia's deepest project off Kakinada coastReliance Industries Limited (RIL), BP (formerly known as The British Petroleum Company plc) have commenced Gas production from Asia’s Deepest Gas Field ‘R-cluster’ situated in the KG-D6 block, Krishna-Godavari basin of the Bay of Bengal (eastern coast of India). The gas reserve is located at a water depth of greater than 2, 000 metres, making it the deepest offshore gas field in Asia.It is India’s first ultra-deepwater gas project.

i.‘R-cluster’ is the 1st operational project of the 3 deepwater gas projects that RIL & BP are developing together in the KG-D6 block. The other two projects are Satellites Cluster & MJ Field.

ii.Plateau Gas Production (i.e Constant Production Rate) at the ‘R-Cluster’ is expected to reach ~ 12 Million standard cubic meters per day (mmscmd) in 2021.

Key Points:

i.The total gas production from the 3 Deepwater gas projects are expected to be around 30 mmscmd by 2023 and will meet around 15% of India’s gas demands in 2023.The 30mmscmd is expected to be about 25% of India’s domestic production.

ii.The Satellite Cluster project will have a peak output of 7 mmscmd and will be operational by 2021, and the MJ field is scheduled to commence production in 2022 and will have a peak capacity of 12 mmscmd.

iii.The gas production from the 3 fields will help in reducing India’s dependence on imported gas.

iv.RIL operates the KG-D6 block, it owns 66.67% participating interest in the block, the remaining 33.33% is held by BP.

The site in Krishna-Godavari basin is one of the biggest natural gas reserves in India, it was discovered by Reliance Industries in 2003.

Recent Related News:

i.On November 20, 2020, Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan signed MoUs with 8 leading oil & gas marketing companies & technology providers to set up 900 Compressed Bio-Gas (CBG) plants with an outlay of Rs 30,000 Cr across India.

About Reliance Industries Limited (RIL):
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Chairman & Managing Director (MD)– Mukesh Ambani.

About BP:

formerly known as The British Petroleum Company plc
Chief Executive Officer – Bernard Looney
Headquarters – London, United Kingdom