The Registrar General & Census Commissioner of India(RGI) released data of Census 2011 on Highest Educational Level obtained among population attending educational institution by age and sex.
- Literate population who are presently attending any educational institution in the country, below Primary(major share of 32.6%)
- Primary (25.2%), Middle (15.7%), Matric (11.1%), Higher Secondary (8.6%) and Graduate above (4.5%)
During the decade 2001-11, improvement is observed at Middle and above educational levels and decline in percentage share at lower levels (below Primary) and is the indication of educational advancement in the country during the decade 2001-11.
- Data on workers by five categories of literates namely Literate but below matric/secondary, Matric/secondary but below graduate, Technical diploma or certificate not equal to degree, Graduate and above other than technical degree and Technical degree or diploma equal to degree or postgraduate degree.
- During the decade 2001-2011 improvement in literacy status and educational levels of various types of workers and non-workers amidst total and SC/ST population.
Marginal workers seeking/available for work in India
- 39.4% illiterates
- 37.6% literates but below matric/secondary
- 14.5% Matric/secondary but below graduate
Non-workers seeking/available for work in India
- 33.6% literates but below matric/secondary
- 31.1%Matric/secondary but below graduate
Distribution of main workers by educational level and age-groups
- 35.9% literates but below matric/secondary
- 28.8% illiterates
- 19.7% Matric/ secondary but below graduate.
The Registrar General & Census Commissioner of India
Functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India. The post of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India is usually held by a civil servant holding the rank of Joint Secretary to Government of India.