Renowned film maker and veteran award-winning film director K.G. George won the prestigious J.C. Daniel Award for his overall contribution to the Malayalam film industry.
About J. C. Daniel Award:
- This award is Kerala’s highest award in Malayalam cinema. It is presented annually by the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy, a non-profit institution under the Department of Cultural Affairs of the Government of Kerala, India. Instituted in 1992, the award is given to honour the recipients for their “outstanding contributions to Malayalam cinema”.
- Recipients are selected by an independent jury established by the Academy and the Department of Cultural Affairs. As of 2016, the honourees receive a statuette, a citation, and a cash prize of Rs.100,000. They are honored at the Kerala State Film Awards
- The Government of Kerala created the award to commemorate the contribution of Indian filmmaker C. Daniel, who is often regarded as the “father of Malayalam cinema”. The J. C. Daniel Award was managed by the Department of Cultural Affairs until 1997.
- In 1998, the Government of Kerala constituted the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy, and since that year, the Academy has hosted the award.A cash prize of ₹50,000 was granted with the award until 2002.
- In 2003, the prize money was doubled and, as part of updating it, no award was presented that year. ActorMadhu was the first recipient of the award with the increased monetary prize in 2004.
- Since its inception, the J. C. Daniel Award has been bestowed on 22 individuals. The award was first presented to film producer E. Vasudevan in 1992. Actress Aranmula Ponnamma is the only woman who has received the honour, in 2005. The 2011 recipient, actor Jose Prakash, died before the award ceremony. His son accepted the award on his behalf.
- The film director V. Sasi, was honored with this award on the occasion of 2015 Kerala State Film Awards ceremony. The most recent recipient of J. C. Daniel Award for the year 2015 is the ace film director K. G. George whose works are known for solipsistic narratives.
About K G George:
- Kulakkatil Geevarghese George is an Indian film director and screenwriter. George is considered to be among one of the directors who revolutionized Malayalam cinema in the 1970s.
- George is noted for his deep psychological analysis and character study of the human mind in his films. George made his debut with Swapnadanam(1975) which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam.
- His well known films include Ulkadal(1979), Mela (1980), Yavanika (1982), Lekhayude Maranam Oru Flashback (1983), Adaminte Vaariyellu (1983), Panchavadi Palam(1984), Irakal (1986), and Mattoral (1988). He is a recipient of 9 Kerala State Film Awards for his various films.
- George is the founder and chairman of the Malayalam Cine Technicians Association (MACTA), and continues to be an executive member. He was the chairman of the Kerala State Film Development Corporation