On May 17, 2017, Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following proposals, bilateral agreements and policy amendments.
Cabinet approves proposal to establish Indian Agricultural Institute (IARI) in Assam
Union cabinet has approved the proposal to establish Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) – Assam with 100% outlay of central government. IARI-Assam will be constructed on 587 acres land provided by Assam State Govt.
- IARI-Assamwould be a Post-Graduate Institute of higher learning in agricultural education covering all sectors of agriculture like field crops, animal husbandry, horticulture crops, agro-forestry, honey production, fisheries, poultry, piggery, silk rearing, etc.
- The institute will work on the agrarian challenges and complexities of North Eastern India in coordination with all existing central and state government Research & Development Institutions and private sector enterprises.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Australia on Cooperation in Combating International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime
Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Australia on Cooperation in Combating International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime.
- Under this MoU, India and Australia will strive to maintain peace and stability in the region through exchange of information, expertise, experience and capacity building.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian dollar
Cabinet approves Agreement between India and Tajikistan on Cooperation and Mutual Assistance in Customs Matters
This agreement will provide a legal framework for sharing of information and intelligence between the Customs authorities of India and Tajikistan on following aspects:
- Proper application of Customs laws
- Prevention and investigation of Customs offences
- Facilitation of legitimate trade
This agreement addresses Indian Customs’ concerns on the correctness of the customs value declared, origin of goods and the tariff classification of the traded goods.
- Capital: Dushanbe
- Currency: Tajikistani somoni
Cabinet approves Faculty Exchange Agreement between National Defence College, New Delhi and National Defence College, Dhaka, Bangladesh
The purpose of the Agreement is to institutionalize regular exchange programs and establish sustainable framework between the two National Defence Colleges for enhancing mutual cooperation in the field of military education concerning strategic and operational studies.
- The agreement envisages better coordination and cooperation among the armed forces while addressing common challenges such as counter terrorism.
Cabinet approves Amendment of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958
Union cabinet has approved Archaeological Sites Remains (Amendment) Bill, 2017 which comprises following amendments to Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958:
- Insertion of a new definition of “public works” in section 2 of the Act.
- Amendment to section 20A of the Act so as to allow any Department or Office of the Central Government to carry out public works in the prohibited area after obtaining permission from the Central Government.
- Insertion of a new clause (ea) to section 20-I of the principal Act
This amendment will permit public works and developmental projects of the Central Government within the prohibited area of a centrally protected monument/site.
Cabinet approves amendment of the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Act, 1971 to enable summary eviction proceedings in Residential Accommodation
Union cabinet has approved following amendments to Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Act, 1971:
- Inserting definition of ‘residential accommodation occupation’ in a new clause in section 2 of the Act
- Inserting provisions relating to eviction from ‘residential accommodation occupation’ in a new sub-section 3B below sub-section 3A of Section 3 of the Act.
These amendments will ensure that the unauthorised occupants are evicted from government residence in a speedy and smooth manner and the vacated accommodations are made available to eligible Govt. employees thus reducing the waiting period.
Cabinet approves Pan-India implementation of Maternity Benefit Program
Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to Pan-India implementation of Maternity Benefit Program which was announced by PM Modi in his address to the nation on December 31, 2016.
About Maternity Benefit Program:
- Under Maternity benefit program all eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM), excluding central, state and PSU employees, are given cash incentive as partial compensation for the wage loss so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first living child.
- This will lead to improved health seeking behaviour amongst the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mother (PW&LM) to reduce the effects of under-nutrition namely stunting, wasting and other related problems.
- With effect from January 1, 2017, this program has been extended to all districts of India.