On June 22, 2017, Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following bilateral agreements and initiatives:
Cabinet approves Amendment of the Social Security Agreement between India and the Netherlands
Union Cabinet has approved Amendment of the bilateral Social Security Agreement (SSA) between India and the Netherlands by incorporating the “Country of Residence” Principle into the agreement.
More Information about (SSA) between India and the Netherlands:
- A bilateral Social Security Agreement (SSA) was signed between India and the Netherlands on 22nd October 2009 and came into force on 15thJune 2010.
- The SSA allows exemption from double contribution to the social security system in both jurisdictions, exportability of accumulated social security benefits across jurisdictions (applicable even to the self-employed), and totalization of serving periods.
- Beginning 1stJanuary 2013, a new social security legislation came into force in the Netherlands, consequent to which the Netherlands began to apply the “country of residence” principle on certain social security benefits exported to other countries.
- The amended SSA between India and the Netherlands, will favourably impact the profitability and competitive position of Indian and Dutch companies with foreign operations in either country by reducing their cost of doing business abroad.
Currently, India has signed and operationalised SSAs with 18 countries – Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland and South Korea.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and the Netherlands for bilateral Cooperation in the field of water resources management
Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment of the Kingdom of the Netherlands for bilateral cooperation in the field of water resources management.
Scope and Benefits of this MoU:
- The MoU envisages that both the Governments shall work to enhance cooperation at the national, regional and international levels in the field of Water Resources Management and Development.
- India and Netherlands will collaborate and share experience and expertise in the efficient use of water resources, river basin management, decision support systems, delta management, water quality issues and waste water recycling and re-use through innovative concession arrangements.
- This MoU will benefit India in enhancing institutional and technical capacity of Central and State Government agencies dealing with water resources especially in the field of river basin management, pollution abatement of rivers including Ganga, flood management, water quality and efficient use of water amongst others.
Quick Facts about Netherlands:
- Capital: Amsterdam
- Currency: Euro
- Current Prime Minister: Mark Rutte
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding between India and Portugal on Cooperation in the field of Public Administration and Governance Reforms
Union Cabinet has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India and Ministry of the Presidency and of Administrative Modernization, Government of Portuguese Republic for ‘Cooperation in the field of Public Administration and Governance Reforms’.
The areas of co-operation under this MoU include:
- Digital transformation of Government
- Administrative simplification and process re-engineering
- Public Service Delivery
- Building and developing staff capability
- Sharing good governance practices in public administration
- Public Grievance Redress Mechanism
Quick Facts about Portugal:
- Capital: Lisbon
- Currency: Euro
- Current Prime Minister: Antonio Costa
Cabinet approves MoU on cooperation in the textiles, clothing and fashion sectors between India and Australia
Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the textiles, clothing and fashion sectors between the Ministry of Textiles and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia.
Scope and Benefits of this MoU:
- The MoU will facilitate cooperation in relation to matters within the textiles and fashion sectors that may be of mutual interest and benefit to the participants.
- The participants will jointly identify appropriate measures to connect the Australian and Indian textile and fashion sectors; promote collaboration and international engagement between those sectors; nurture the skills and talents within those sectors; promote economic opportunities and encourage professional engagement, training, skill development and public exhibition of products derived from these sectors in the two countries.
- Indian weavers including ancillary workers will be benefited from activities to be taken under MOU.
Quick Facts about Australia:
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian Dollar
- Current Prime Minister: Malcolm Turnbull
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space between India and Armenia
On June 22, 2017, Union Cabinet was apprised about a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space between India and Armenia. The MoU has already been signed in April, 2017.
The MoU envisages cooperation between India and Armenia in following areas:
- Space science, technology and applications including remote sensing of the earth
- Satellite communication and satellite based navigation
- Space science and planetary exploration
- Use of spacecraft and space systems and ground system
- Application of space technology.
Quick Facts about Armenia:
- Capital: Yerevan
- Currency: Armenian dram
- Current Prime Minister: Karen Karapetyan
Cabinet approves Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy between India and Sri Lanka
Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy between Ministry of AYUSH of the Government of Republic of India and the Ministry of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine of the Government of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
Scope and benefits of this MoU:
- The signing of the proposed MoU will enhance bilateral cooperation between the two countries in the areas of traditional medicine and homoeopathy.
- This will be of immense importance to both countries considering their shared cultural heritage.
- The financial resources necessary to conduct research, training courses, conferences / meetings will be met from the existing allocated budget and existing plan schemes of Ministry of AYUSH.
Quick Facts about Sri Lanka:
- Capital: Colombo
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee
- Current Prime Minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe
Cabinet approves Constitution of Indian Naval Material Management Service (INMMS) as an Organized Group ‘A’ Engineering Service
Union Cabinet as approved constitution of an organized Group ‘A’ Engineering Service, namely Indian Naval Material Management Service (INMMS) and consequent changes in cadre structure of existing Group ‘A’ cadre of Naval Store Officers of the Indian Navy.
Expected Benefits from constitution of Indian Naval Material Management Service (INMMS):
- Constitution of an Organized Group ‘A’ Service would attract the best talents available and bring in technically qualified Material Managers.
- It will improve the functional efficiency of Material Management of Naval Stores and ensure operational readiness of the Navy at all times.