On July 20, 2017, BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) nominee Ram Nath Kovind was elected as the 14th President of India. Mr. Kovind defeated Opposition candidate and former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
Election of President of India – Process:
In the election of the President, the citizens play no direct part and he/she is elected indirectly by the representatives of the people.
- Process of election of President of India has been mentioned in Article 54 and 55 of Indian Constitution.
- The President is elected by the members of an electoral college consisting of the elected members of both Houses of Parliament (MPs) and the elected members of the Legislative Assemblies (MLAs) of the States.
- It is to be noted that Members of Legislative Council of States are not a part of the Electoral College.
- The value of an MLA’s vote depends on the population of his or her State and the value of an MP’s vote remains the same at 708 votes.
- A candidate needs more than 50% votes to win presidential polls.
Details pertaining to Indian Presidential Election 2017:
For the Presidential Election 2017, total 4,896 voters (4,120 Members of Legislative Assemblies and 776 elected Members of Parliament) were eligible to cast their ballot.
- In value terms, total strength of Electoral College was 1098903 votes. In eight rounds of counting, Mr. Kovind received 2930 votes with a value of 702044, whereas Ms. Kumar got 1844 votes with a value of 367314.
- Counting happened under the supervision of Lok Sabha secretary general Anoop Mishra, who is also the Returning Officer for Presidential Election.
About Ram Nath Kovind:
71-year old Ram Nath Kovind is a lawyer from Madhya Pradesh.
- Before contesting presidential election, he was the Governor of Bihar.
- He has served as a BJP MP in the Rajya Sabha as well.
- Ram Nath Kovind will be the second Dalit President of India after KR Narayanan.
- President Pranab Mukherjee’s term is ending on July 24, 2017 and the India’s 14th President Mr. Ram Nath Kovind will take oath on July 25, 2017.