Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015 gets a clear nod from Rajya Sabha on 11th March 2015. It amends Motor Vehicles 1988 Act. Road Transport and highways minister Nitin Gadkari said this bill would not only benefit the poor but it will give a boost to ‘Make in India’ initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi as battery moving vehicle will be manufactured indeginously by a Pune based Company. Now, The drivers can ply e-rickshaw legally in Delhi.
Key Highlights of Bill:
- Date of Passing: 11th March 2015 by voice note.
- Lok Sabha passed the bill on 3rd March 2015
- This bill amends the Motor Vehicle Act 1988.
- They will no longer be imported from China but will be manufactured by Pune based Company.
- It will give a boost to ‘Make In India’ Initiative,
- It will going to benefit 1 lakh e- rickshaw owners and drivers in the capital.
- he bill defines e-rickshaw and e-carts as special purpose battery powered vehicles with power up to 4000 watts.
- The new rules provide that e-rickshaw will be allowed to carry four passengers and 40 kg luggage while e-carts would transport goods up to 310 kg.