The government has appointed Rajendra Singh as the Director General of Coast guard.He is the first person to be appointed not from a Navy background.
Points to note
- The DG of coast guard was so far given to three star naval officers and this is the first time a person from Coast guard is directly appoint
- Singh joined the coast guard in 1980
- He is currently the Additional Director general of Coast guard
- He will succeed Vice Admiral HCS.Bisht who is promoted as the Flag officer-Commanding in chief of Eastern Naval Command
- Rajendra singh was conferred with Tatrakshak medal by the president in August 15,1990
- For his distinguished service he was also awarded the President’s Tatrakshak Medal in August 15,2002
- Singh has commanded each class of Coast Guard Ship in service, which includes the Interceptor Boat, Inshore Patrol Vessel, Fast Patrol Vessel, Offshore Patrol Vessel and Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel
- During 1980’s, he has actively apprehended the smuggling offenders
Facts to be known
- Besides Singh two other persons namely Rameshwar Singh and Prabhakaran Paleri were appointed from Coast guard but they were Indian Navy officers in permanent secondment to coast guard
- The Indian Coast Guard was created under the Coast Guard Act by parliament in 1978.
- An interim Coast Guard was formed in 1977