On January 7, 2021, The Chief Minister (CM) of Punjab Amarinder Singh virtually launched a set of welfare projects while dedicating January 2021 as “Dheeyan Di Lohri” from Chandigarh.
- Under ‘Dheeiyan Di Lohri’, Amarinder gave five girl children, along with their mothers, a shagun of Rs 5,100 and baby kits for each. Under the scheme, a series of events will be held every day across districts, beginning with Mohali district, through the month to mark the occasion of Lohri.
- Also free sanitary pads will be provided for girls studying in high school and colleges in the state.
Other Welfare Projects:
With the launch of the BASERA programme, 2816 slum dwellers in 10 slums of Patiala, Bathinda, Fazilka and Moga districts will get proprietary rights in the first phase.
- The proprietary rights are bestowed upon the slum dwellers as a New Year gift on the birthday of CM’s father Maharaja Yadavindra Singh.
Smart power meters Project:
Rs. 75.64 crore three-phase Smart Metering project was also launched by the CM. It is a consumer-friendly scheme which will help in reducing human error in manual reading through automatic uploading of data.
- From January 2021 to December 2021, a total of 96,000 meters will be installed across the state by Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) under the project.
- It will also curb the malpractice of reading concealment/theft of electricity.
The new e-Daakhil portal was launched in accordance with the new Consumer Protection Act 2019 to help consumers safeguard their rights. It envisages filling of consumer disputes electronically to Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
- The portal will provide citizens an effective mechanism to protect them from exploitation at the hands of traders.
Cricket kits for youth
The CM also launched the scheme for distribution of 2500 sports/cricket kits through community participation especially of the Ludhiana industry. This scheme will promote health awareness and sports culture.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 29, 2020 Punjab Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with The Global Alliance for Mass Entrepreneurship (GAME) for a 2 year project on transforming the ease of doing business for MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) in Punjab.
ii.On November 30, 2020 Punjab Government has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with International Digital Health & Artificial Intelligence Research Collaborative (I-DAIR) hosted at the Graduate Institute of International & Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland to develop and deploy digital technologies in the health sector.
Governor– Vijayender Pal Singh Badnore