On 5th August 2020, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh launched the ‘Pride of Punjab’ programme through video conferencing.The programme is a partnership programme between the Department of Youth Services and Sports and YuWaah – a joint initiative of UNICEF, other UN agencies, civil society organisations and the private sector.
The launch was attended by Minister for Department of Sports & Youth Services Rana Gurmeet Singh Sodhi, United Nations Children’s Fund Special Representative for Young people Mr. Ravi Venkatesan, Mr. Abhishek Gupta, Chief Operating Officer YuWaah(Generation Unlimited India) and others.
i.The programme is aimed at enabling best opportunities for the Youth of Punjab.
ii.The Programme will help the youth of Punjab to realize their aspirations, to support their community and to support other young people.
iii.The programme will start with a survey using U-Report to hear about the challenges and aspirations of the youth of Punjab.
iv.U-Report is a social messaging tool and data collection system supported by YuWaah and UNICEF to improve citizen engagement.
- YuWaah is a multi-stakeholder alliance that aims to facilitate youth to gain relevant skills for productive lives and the future of work.
- It is supported by the United Nations Children’s Fund.
- India was one of the first countries to launch this initiative.
- YuWaah is aimed at imparting skills among the youth of India and provide employment to more than 300 million young Indians.
- It is targeted at young people aged 10-24 years.
Capital – Chandigarh
Governor – V. P. Singh Badnore.