Punjab has become the first ever state in the country to issue Soil Health Cards or SHC to the farmers,a government initiative to all the farmers in the state.A mobile testing lab is assigned to every district of the state. Sample soil is taken from the farm and digitalised soil health details are issued
- Currently state has 66 such laboratories that can test 3.5 lakh soil samples on the annual basis.
- Checking of soil health on quarterly basis by these labs has been made compulsory by the state government.
- In view of over exploitation of the soil because of green revolution in Punjab, testing of soils is more important now.
- SHC helps the farmers in maintaining balanced health structure of the soil and teach them in using right amount of fertilizers so that soil does not turn arid.
- Punjab agricultural minister Mr Tota Singh told that he would personally monitor the project and after micro and macro profiling of the soil, the state government would start customized cropping and agricultural diversification plan for every area based on soil specifications.
- Soil-crop compatibility would be taught by agricultural department and would join hands with conservation of soil department to make the campaign a great success.
Regarding Soil Health Card Scheme or SHC
- The SHC has in it all basic and crop wise recommendations of fertilizers and nutrients
- In order to increase the productivity of farms, it provides crop wise nutrient recommendation and other various inputs.
- Profiling of soil structure would take place that would help in crop diversification as per soil content of that particular place.
Punjab-facts and figures
- Punjab was founded on 15th August 1947.
- Capital of Punjab is Chandigarh and Ludhiana forms the largest city.
- There are totally 22 districts in Punjab.
- Chief minister of Punjab is Parkash Singh Badal.
- Governor is Kaptan Singh Solanki.
- The word Punjab Refers to 5 rivers namely Jhelum,Chenab, Rabi,Beas and Sutlej.