On March 2, 2020 The Indian Science Congress association (ISCA) announced that Pune will host the annual session of 108th Indian Science Congress on January 3-7, 2021 at Symbiosis International University’s Lavale campus with the theme,”Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment”.
- Dr Vijay Laxmi Saxena elected general president of the Indian Science Congress, 2020-21
- In the last 100 years, Pune will host the prestigious meet for the 4th time.
To find ways to provide Women with equal access to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), education, Research opportunities, economic participation which are considered to be fundamental requirements to fuel holistic growth, renewed economies & achieve sustainable development.
Issues to be discussed at the session
- Sustainable development, Women empowerment & the role of Science & Technology to achieve these in all its dimensions.
- Ways to increase the number of women in higher rank of Teaching, Research & Industry
- The issues that are obstacles to the growth of womens in the field of science & technology.
Gist about ISCA
i.It was started in 1914 in Kolkata & the first meeting was held from January 15-17 1914 with 105 members & 35 papers communicated for reading but now more than 60,000 members are there & nearly 2000 papers are communicated for reading.
ii.It owes its origin to the foresight and initiative of two British Chemists, namely, Professor J. L. Simonsen and Professor P.S. MacMahon who felt that scientific research in India may be stimulated if annual meetings of research workers are arranged at least a little on the lines of the British Association for the advancement of science.
iii.Objective: To advance and promote the cause of Science in India, recognize and support excellence in scientific research, technologies and innovations & to secure and manage funds and endowments for the promotion of Science including the rights of disposing of or selling all or any portion of the properties of the Association.