Mohanlal starrer adventure film “Pulimurugan” has become the first Malayalam film to enter the Rs 100 crore club. This movie is made with a budget of Rs 25 crore, deals with man animal conflict with Mohanlal in the lead role of Murugan, a hunter.
About Pulimurugan :
Pulimurugan is a 2016 Indian Malayalam-language action adventure film directed by Vysakh, starring Mohanlal in the titular role.
- Kamalini Mukherjee,Jagapati Babu, Bala and Lal appear in key supporting roles. It is the first independent screenplay written by Udayakrishna of the Udayakrishna-Siby K. Thomas
- The film is produced by Tomichan Mulakupadam through the production house, Mulakupadam Films. The score and soundtrack are composed by Gopi Sunder, while cinematography is handled by Shaji Kumar.
- The filming started in Hanoi, Vietnam in July 2015. The film was released on 7 October 2016.
- Made on an investment of Rs.25 crore, in 30 days, Pulimurugan grossed over Rs.100 crore It became the first film to cross Rs.100 crore mark in the Malayalam film industry, and is currently the highest-grossing Malayalam film.
- Pulimurugan earned an opening day collection of Rs.4.05 crore from Kerala box office, making it the highest opening-day gross for a Malayalam film and the second highest for any language film in the state.
- The film grossed Rs.4.83 crore on Sunday (9 October), which is the highest single day collection recorded for any film in Kerala box office. By taking it’s 3 days gross collection to Rs.12.91 crore, it set the record for the highest opening-weekend at the state box office.
- Pulimurugan crossed Rs.20 crore mark at the Kerala box office in the fastest time (in 5 days) for any film.In 8 days theatrical run, the film is estimated to have grossed about Rs.30 crore from the state box office.
- Pulimuruganset a new record in Malayalam by completing 10,000 shows in just 14 days, and grossed over Rs.46 crore from theatres all over India, with Rs.40 crore from Kerala alone.
- The film managed to garner Rs.60 crore within 17 days of theatrical run in India. Until 7 November 2016, the film crossed Rs.105 crore worldwide, thus Pulimurugan became the first Malayalam film to gross Rs.100 crore at the box office.