Haryana governor Prof Kaptan Singh Solani took over the additional charge of 34th Governor of Punjab. He was given the additional charge, as the tenure of Shivraj V Patil as Punjab governor ends. Solanki signed separate charge reports, both as Governor of Punjab and Administrator of Chandigarh (UT).
Knowledge is Wealth
- States have Governors and Union Territories have Lieutenant-Governors. They have similar powers and functions at the state level as that of the President of India at Union level.
- The Lieutenant-Governor rank is present only in Delhi, Puducherry, and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- The other Union Territories have an appointed administrator (Mostly IAS officer).
- In Indian Constitution, article 157 and article 158 specify the eligibility requirements for the post of governor.
- The governor of Punjab alone acts as the administrator of Chandigarh.