Prime Minister Narendra Modi, visited Ghazipur district in eastern Uttar Pradesh on November 14, 2016, to launch several rail projects.
- The PM landed at Lalbahadur Shastri International Airport in Varanasi, from where he moved to Ghazipur by helicopter
Important Highlights of the Visit
- The Prime Minister flagged off a weekly ‘Shabd Bhedi’ Superfast Express train between Ghazipur and Kolkata.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated a newly-built Cargo Centre for perishable commodities at the Gazipur Ghat station.
- During his visit, the Prime Minister laid the foundation of a rail-road bridge over the Ganga that will connect Mau with Tadighat and also the doubling of the Ghazipur city-Ballia Rail section.
- He also addressed a public meeting, as a part of Parivartan Rally, at the RTI Ground in Ghazipur. This was his first public address in Uttar Pradesh after theBharatiya Janata Party (BJP) kicked off the ‘Parivartan Yatra’.
Parivartan Rally :
The Parivartan Rally is part of Bhartiya Janta Party’s campaign for Uttar Pradesh assembly elections to be held in 2017.
- Security arrangements were made prior PM Modi’s visit to the place. This was the only major event of Parivartan Yatra in eastern UP in which PM participated.
- While addressing the public, PM Modi discussed the issues related to the demonetization of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 currency.
- He also paid tribute to India’s first Prime Minister Jawahar lal Nehru on his 127th birth anniversary, and promised to open all files of the Patel Committee, formed by Nehru, for finding out the ground situation of Purvanchal an bring justice to Purvanchal.
- PM Modi will hold six rallies as part of BJP’s Uttar Pradesh’s assembly election campaign. After the PM’s address in Ghazipur the Yatra rally will move towards Azamgarh and on November 15, this yatra will enter Gorakhpur Pranth unit.
- The BJP has started Parivartan Yatras from Saharanpur, Lalitpur, Ballia and Sonbhadra districts. After crossing through all the Assembly constituencies, it will culminate in Lucknow on December 24 with a rally, which will be addressed by the PM.
- Besides highlighting the failures of UP government, the BJP is highlighting the achievements of the Modi government.