India’s boxers Pinki Jangra and Shamjetsabam Sarjubala Devi got gold medals at the 22nd President Cup Open Boxing Tournament held in Indonesia. Pinki Jangra won the gold medal by beating Nandintsetseg of Mongolia in the 51kg category.
Sarjubala won by defeating Russias Iseva joya in the 48kg category. Both of them helped India to win two gold medal.
- In this competition, more than 130 boxers from over 30 countries participated.
- Preeti Beniwal,Bilao Basumatary, and Priya Dayal also participated in 60kg, 57kg and 54 kg category respectively.
- Pinki, a commonwealth bronze medallist defeated Mongolia’s Nandintsetseg 2-1 to get the gold medal.
- In men category gold was won by Rakesh Kumar and Harpal Singh in 69kg and 75kg respectively.
- Rakesh defeated Hiroaki Kinjo of Japan and Harpal Singh beat Jee Deok-Seong of Korea .
- Manish Kumar won the bronze medal in 60kg category after he lost to Mongolia’s Otgondalai in the semifinals.
- India finished at the top having 33points that included 4Gold and 1 Bronse medals.
- Mongolia came second in the tournament.
- The tournament was held on 27th April 2015 at Palambang,South Sumatra,Indonesia.
- This was the first time India was crowned champions.
This shows the progress and improvements Indian Boxing is making.
BOXING IN INDIA
- Its most enjoyable profiled sports in India.
- Mary Kom, won best boxer titles in 2007.
- In Beijing olympics Vijender Kumar won bronse medal.
- Vijender Kumar is current world champion in middleclass category.
ABOUT SARJUBALA DEVI AND PINKI JANGRA
- Sarjubala was born in Manipur,India on June 1 1993.
- She is an employer in Eastcoast railways,Waltair Division.
- She was appointed last year under the sports quota.
- She is inter-railway winner in the last 2 years.
- Pinki Jangra comes form Hissar,haryana.
- Pinki defeated MaryKom, in the qualifiers of Commonwealth Games 2014.
- Pinki won silver in Haryana sub junior championships before.