On 14th May 2015,Presidential awards for the year 2011-12 and 2012-13 are given to Tamil scholars who had made outstanding contributions in Classical Tamil language and literature. These awards were conferred by the Indian President Mr Pranab Mukherjee.
- Tolkappiyar award was given to SV Shanmugam for the year 2011-12 and for R.Krishnamurthi for the year 2012-2013.
- Kural Pitam award given to Eva Maria Wilden of Germany for 2011-12.
- Young scholar awards were presented to E.Ezhuilvasanthan, K.Jwahar and K.Iyappan for 2011-12 and to R.Venkatesan,A.Sathish, MR.Devak, U.Alibava and B.Jaiganesh
- ”Tholkappiyar award” is a life time achievement award given to those who made great contributions in Tamil studies
- ”Kural Pitam” awards given to those Tamil scholars for Classical Tamil of non- Indian origins.
- ”Young scholar” awards given for those in age 30 to 40 years for showing interest and excellence in Tamil Studies.
Some information on Pranab Mukherjee
- Pranab Mukherjee was born on 11th December 1935.
- He is the 13th and present President of India.
- Assumed his office on 25th July 2012.
- He was senior leader of Indian National Congress and was Union Finance Minister before he was elected as President.
- Mr Pranab Mukherjee was also Defence Minister,Foreign Affairs Minister,Commerce Minister in the government of India.
- He was also Chairman of Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata.
Presidential awards for Classical Tamil-what are they??
- These awards were instituted by the HRD or Ministry of Human Resources Department.
- These awards recognises distinguished scholars who had made outstanding contributions in the development of Classical tamil language and literature.
- Citation and shawl apart from cash award of 5 lakhs for Tolkappiyar and Kural pitam awardees and 2 lakhs for Young scholars awardees.