President of India Mr. Pranab Mukherjee is on an official visit to West Bengal, Jharkhand and Bihar from 1st – 3rd April 2017.
Highlights of the President’s Tour are as follows:
1st April 2017 – Kolkata, West Bengal: President was the Chief Guest at 52nd Annual Convocation of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) – Calcutta.
2nd April 2017 – Jharkhand: In the capital city Ranchi, President laid foundation stone of Rabindra Bhawan and Haj House.
- Addressing the gathering, he expressed his happiness that contributions of Rabindranath Tagore and his family to the state have been commemorated through the construction of Rabindra Bhawan.
- This Bhawan will be built at a cost of Rs. 155 crore. Post completion, it is expected to promote art and culture in Ranchi.
- He also applauded the efforts of Jharkhand State Govt. to initiate the construction of Haj House which will facilitate Haj pilgrimage for Muslim brethren in the state. The estimated cost involved in construction of Haj House is Rs. 55.12 crore.
- In Jharkhand, President also inaugurated National Skill Exhibition, 2 new large scale Driver Training Institutes (DTIs) in Godda and Dhanbad and 31 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKK) in Deogarh.
- National Skill Exhibition began on 2nd April 2017 on a grand scale. It showcases various initiatives taken in skill development space.
- Driver Training Institutes have dual relevance as driving is an employable skill and proper training also ensures road safety.
- 31 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKK) will be model centres in providing employable skills and training to youth from Jharkhand and other adjoining states.
- Dignitaries present at these occasions were: Rajiv Pratap Rudy – Union Minister of State (I/C) for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Draupadi Murmu – Governor of Jharkhand, Bandaru Dattatreya – Union Minister of Labour and Employment, Nishikant Dubey – Member of Parliament from Godda and Smt. Rajbala Verma Chief Secretary of Jharkhand.
- Other functions and ceremonies attended by President in Jharkhand included: Inauguration of 44 Kms Deoghar – Basukinath Solar Street Light Project, laying foundation stone of Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) Centre and Employees State Insurance Corporation Hospital
3rd April 2017 – Bihar: President will conclude his three-day tour by visiting Vikramshila University Monument, Museum at Vikramshila, Shyama Charan Lahiri Peeth and Gurudham-Bounsi in Bihar.