President Shri Ram Nath Kovind, reached Santiago, Chile in the evening of 30th March, 2019. This was the final leg of his visit to three nations – Croatia, Bolivia and Chile.
Bilateral talks between India and Chile
- President Ram Nath Kovind held bilateral talks with his Chilean counterpart Sebastian Pinera at Santiago and discussed issues of mutual interest. During bilateral talks, Chile announced that it will allow visa-free entry to Indian nationals holding a valid visa of the United States of America.
- Both the countries agreed to promote both cultural and business ties between the two countries.
Ram Nath Kovind addressed India-Chile Business Forum
Ram Nath Kovind has addressed the India-Chile Business Forum in Santiago. Both the countries agreed to work together to expand their trade basket and open new pathways for economic engagement in areas such as marine research and other scientific exploration. India has been keen to strengthen its collaboration with Chile in the space sector.
India and Chile signed 3 MoUs
- On 1st April, President Ram Nath Kovind discussed wide-ranging issues of mutual interest with his Chilean counterpart Sebastian Pinera and both sides signed 3 Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) in the fields of mining, culture and empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- These MoUs will further enhance engagement in economic, social and cultural fields between the two countries.
India and Chile agreed to strengthen global response to defeat terrorism
- As President Ram Nath Kovind held wide ranging discussions with his Chilean counterpart on matters of mutual interest, including cooperation in defence sector, India and Chile have collaborated to work together to enhance the global response to defeat terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- Both the countries have emphasized the need for stronger international partnership in countering terrorism and extremism
Ram Nath Kovind addressed Students at University of Chile On Gandhi’s Life
- President Ram Nath Kovind has addressed students and faculty of the University of Chile in Santiago on the topic of “Gandhi for the Young” during his speech,
- Ram Nath Kovind stated that Gandhi, also known as the ‘Father of the Nation’ in India, carried his concept of universal love to teach how to live in harmony with nature. He stated everything about Gandhi’s struggle during India’s freedom.
Ram Nath Kovind visited Pablo Neruda Museum
- President Ram Nath Kovind has visited Pablo Neruda Museum in Santiago that houses literary works and art collections of Pablo Neruda, a renowned Chilean poet and writer.
- He appreciated literary and art collections of Chilean Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda. He has also gifted a fountain pen to Museum in recognition of Neruda’s fondness for fountain pen.
Ram Nath Kovind paid Floral Tribute to Mahatma Gandhi in Chile
President Ram Nath Kovind has paid Floral tributes to Mahatma Gandhi at Gandhi’s statue at Plaza de la India in Santiago. It was to commemorate Gandhiji’s 150th birth anniversary. Ram Nath Kovind has also announced an assistance of US $ 53,000 for the beautification of the area where Mahatma Gandhi’s statue is located.
Ram Nath Kovind reviewed Guard of Honour
Ram Nath Kovind has reviewed the Guard of Honour along with his Chilean counterpart, Sebastian Pinera by the Guard commander at the Presidential Palace ‘La Moneda’in Santiago, Chile on 1st April, 2019.
Ram Nath Kovind visited Cape Town to address Indian Community
- Ram Nath Kovind arrived in Cape Town, South Africa on a transit halt after a three-nation tour on 2nd April to address the Indian community here.
- He paid tribute to the Mahatma and his ideas of peace and non-violence on this occasion, as it was natural to be reminded of the role South Africa played in his journey from Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi to Mahatma Gandhi. He also paid tribute to Nelson Mandela at the Robin Island on 3rd April.
♦ Capital- Santiago
♦ Currency- Chilean Peso
♦ President- Sebastian Pinera