President Ram Nath Kovind appointed new Governors for 8 States.
- Article 155 of the Indian Constitution states that the Governor of a State shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
- As per Article 159, The Chief Justice of the concerned State High Court administers the oath of office to the Governor.
i.Thaawar Chand Gehlot who is currently serving as Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment has been appointed as the 19th Governor of Karnataka. He is a Rajya Sabha MP from Madhya Pradesh.
ii.Dr. Hari Babu Kambhampati has been appointed as the 22nd Governor of Mizoram. He is a Member of the 16th Lok Sabha Member from Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. He belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) party.
iii.Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel has been appointed as the 19th Governor of Madhya Pradesh. He is a senior tribal leader and former Gujarat Cabinet Minister belonging to BJP.
iv.Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar has been appointed as the 21st Governor of Himachal Pradesh. He is BJP leader from Goa and served as Speaker of Goa Assembly during 2012-15.
v.P.S. Sreedharan Pillai has been appointed as the 19th Governor of Goa. He is a BJP leader from Kerala and is currently serving as Governor of Mizoram.
vi.Satyadeo Narain Arya appointed as the 19th Governor of Tripura succeeding Ramesh Bais. He is a leader of BJP from Bihar and had previously held the position as Minister of Mines & Geology of Bihar Cabinet.
vii.Ramesh Bais who is currently serving as Governor of Tripura, has been appointed as the 9th Governor of Jharkhand. He is a BJP leader who had served as Union Minister for several portfolios during 1999-2004.
viii.Bandaru Dattatraya has been appointed as the 17th Governor of Haryana succeeding Satyadeo Narain Arya. He is a BJP leader from Telangana and had served as Minister of State for Labour & Employment from 2014-17.
New Appointments & Transfers
|State||New Governor||Preceded by|
|Goa||P.S. Sreedharan Pillai
(Currently Governor of Mizoram)
|Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
|Tripura|| Satyadeo Narain Arya
(Currently Governor of Haryana)
(Currently Governor of Tripura)
(Currently Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment)
(Currently Governor of Himachal Pradesh)
|Satyadeo Narain Arya|
|Mizoram||Dr. Hari Babu Kambhampati||P.S. Sreedharan Pillai|
|Madhya Pradesh||Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel||Anandiben Patel|
|Himachal Pradesh||Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar||Bandaru Dattatraya|
Appointment of Governor
The Governor is the nominal head of the State/UT, whereas the real power lies with the Chief Ministers.
i.Chapter IV (Article 153 -167) of the Indian Constitution deals with appointment & functions of Governor.
- Article 155 – Deals with Appointment of Governor
- Article 156 – Provides the Term of Office of Governor (period of 5 years)
- Articles 157 – Qualifications for appointment as Governor – Should be a citizen of India and must have completed the age of 35 years.
- Article 161 grants special powers to the governor to grant pardons, etc.