Dr. M Veerappa Moily, Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) received the 24th Saraswati Sammaan for the year 2014 award from the President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee for his Epic “Sri Ramayana Mahanveshanam” written in Kannada in New Delhi on August 10, 2015.
- Moily was conferred with Moortidevi Award in 2007.
- Ramayana Mahanveshanam was first published in 2007 in Kannada. Later the poem was translated into English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.
- Ramayana Mahaveshanam, Moily tried to explore the Ramarajya or the true principle of the ideal State from a secular and modern point of view in his collection of poems.
- The Saraswati Samman is an annual award for outstanding prose or poetry literary works in any 22 Indian language listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India.
- It is named after an Indian goddess of learning and is considered to be among the highest literary awards in India.
- The Saraswati Samman was instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation.
Award consists of,
• Rs 10 lakh.
• A citation and a plaque.
• The first saraswathi samman award was given to Harivanshrai Bachchan for his four volume autobiography, Kya Bhooloon Kya Yaad Karoon, Needa Ka Nirman Phir, Basere Se Door and Dashdwar se Sopan Tak.
Awards of Veerappa Moily:
• Ameen Sadbhavana Award in 2000.
• Devaraj Urs Prashasthi in 2001.
• Aryabhatta Award in 2001.
• Dr. B.R Ambedkar Award in 2002.
• Moortidevi Award 2007.
• Saraswati Samman 2014.
Veerappa Moily and Publications:
He authored several books,
• Thembare: A novel and perhaps his most critically acclaimed work; it has been translated into English under the title “The edge of time.”
• Kotta: Another novel, made into telefilms in both Kannada and Hindi, directed by M.S. Sathyu.
• Suligali: “Typhoon.” A novel.
• Sagaradeepa: “Ocean lamp.” A novel.
• Milana: A play.
• Parajitha: A play.
• Premavendare: A play.
• Halu-Jenu Maththe: An anthology of poems.
• Nadeyali Samara: An anthology of poems.
• Yakshaprashne: An anthology of poems.
• Sri Ramayana Mahanveshanam: This poem will be published in five volumes.