The President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee presented Stree Shakti Puraskars and Nari Shakti Puraskars for the year 2015 at a function organized on the International Women’s Day in Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The International Women’s Day is observed this year with the theme “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality”.
- Every year March 8 is observed as International Women’s Day to celebrate womanhood. From this year onwards Nari Shakti Puraskars has been initiated by the Government in recognition to singular contribution of women.
- ZilaMahilaSammnas and RajyaMahilaSammnas have also been instituted since this year in order to reward the selflessly working and committed women particularly at the community and grass root levels.
- The Women and Child Development Minister SmtMeneka Gandhi proposed 33% reservation for women in police. In another move she proposed appointment of women as Special Police Officers who will work as honorary police women and provide interface between the police force and the women affected by violence.
Stree Shakti Puraskar Award Winners:
- The Stree Shakti puraskars are conferred to six women in the area of women’s endeavour and exceptional contribution each year. The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 3lakh and a citation.
- AnyayRahitZindagian NGO of Goa– Devi AhilyabaiHolkar Award
- Seema Prakash of Madhya Pradesh-Rani Lakshmibai Award
- AsthaSansthan , NGO of Rajasthan– Rani Rudramma Devi Award
- ChandraprabhaBokey –Maharashtra– Mata Jijabai Award
- P Bhanumati –Kerala-Kannagi Award
- Mariola– Rajasthan– Rani GaidinliuZeliang Award
The Nari Shakti Puraskar Awardees:
- The Nari Shakti Puraskar has been conferred for the first time this year. Each award carries a 1 lakh rupees and a citation.
The following eight women have been bestowed with this award in recognition to their contribution in specific areas
- RashmiAnand (Delhi)
- DrNandita Krishna (Tamilnadu)
- DrLaxmiGautam(Uttar Pradesh)