On August 14, 2017, President Ram Nath Kovind approved 112 Gallantry Awards to Armed Forces Personnel and members of Paramilitary Forces which include 5 Kirti Chakras, 17 Shaurya Chakras, 85 Sena Medals (Gallantry), 3 Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry) and two Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry).
Kriti Chakra Award to 5 persons
CRPF commandants Chetan Kumar Cheetah and Pramod Kumar, along with Major David Manlun, Havildar Giris Gurung and Major Preetam Singh Kunwar have been awarded the Kirti Chakra, the second highest gallantry award in peace time.
- Pramod Kumar, David Manlun and Havildar Giris Gurung have been decorated with the medal posthumously.
- Chetan Kumar Cheetahwas wounded during a joint operation in the Hajin area of Bandipora district in North Kashmir on February 14, 2017. He survived after nine bullet injuries and staying comatose for over a month.
- CRPF Commandant Pramod Kumarwas killed in an encounter soon after unfurling the flag at CRPF Srinagar office on August 15th last year.
- Major Manlun belonged to the 164 Brigade of the Territorial Army. He was killed during an encounter at remote Lappa, close to the Myanmar border.
- Havildar Giris Gurung was martyred during a counter infiltration operation along the LoC in Kupwara, Jammu and Kashmir on May 20, 2017.
- Major Preetam Singh Kunwar, is of the fourth battalion of the Garhwal Rifle. He has been awarded for fighting militants in Jammu and Kashmir.
About Kirti Chakra:
- Kirti Chakrais an Indian military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the field of battle.
- It may be awarded to civilians as well as military personnel, including posthumous awards.
- It is second in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards; it comes after Ashoka Chakra and before Shaurya Chakra.
Govt launches Online Portal to honour gallantry award winners
On August 14, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a website, http://gallantryawards.gov.in to honour all the gallantry award winners since Independence.
- The website gives details of the Chakra Series awardees i.e., Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra.
- The portal contains information such as name, unit, year, citations and photographs of awardees till date.
- The portal has been jointly developed by the Union Home and Defence Ministries.