Two Pune based research labs of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) have developed new ammunition for India’s main battle tank Arjun.
- More destructive than its predecessor, the new ammunition was successfully test fired at Chandipur in Odisha.
- Labs Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) did an extensive research on the new Penetration-Cum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition which are specially designed for Arjun.
What is Thermobaric ammunition?
A thermobaric weapon is a type of explosive that utilizes oxygen from the surrounding air to generate an intense, high-temperature explosion.
- Thermobaric cannot be used under water and in high altitude but in normal conditions as it has high destructive power causing it to burn longer.
About Arjun Tank
The Arjun is a third generation main battle tank designed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) & Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) for the Indian Army.
- It features a 120 mm main rifled gun with indigenously developed armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot ammunition, one PKT 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun and a NSVT 12.7 mm machine gun.
- The Arjun entered service with the Indian Army in 2004.
- The Arjun project experienced serious budget overruns and repeated delays that resulted in a development time of over 37 years.
- Manufacturer – Heavy Vehicles Factory
- Unit cost – ₹559 million