The Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro Food processing Enterprises (PMFME) scheme, which was launched under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan completed one year of its launch on 29th June, 2021.
i.PMFME is a centrally sponsored scheme, which aims to enhance the competitiveness of existing individual micro-enterprises in the unorganized segment of the food processing industry, promote formalization of the sector, and support Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs), Self Help Groups (SHGs) and Producers Cooperatives along their entire value chain.
ii.It was launched with an outlay of INR 10,000 crore over a period of 5 years from 2020-21 to 2024-25.
iii.Under the scheme, 2,00,000 micro food processing units will be directly assisted with credit linked subsidy.
Major milestones achieved under PMFME Scheme
One District One Product (ODOP) component
Under the ODOP component, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) approved ODOP for 707 districts of 35 States and UTs, which includes 137 unique products as per the recommendations received by States/UTs.
- An GIS (Geographic Information System) ODOP digital map of India has been launched to provide details of ODOP products of all States & UTs. It also has indicators for Tribal, Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and aspirational districts.
Seed Capital of INR 25.25 crore disbursed to SRLM
Seed Capital of INR 25.25 crore has been disbursed to State Rural Livelihood Mission (SRLM) under the scheme.
- Under PMFME, there is a component for providing seed capital to Self Help Groups (SHGs) with the support of National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) & SRLM.
- The Scheme envisages financial support of INR 40,000 for working capital and purchase of small tools for each member of SHGs engaged in food processing activities.
Capacity Building and Incubation Centres
Under the Capacity Building component of the PMFME Scheme, the National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM) & the Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) have provided training and research support to selected enterprises/groups/clusters in partnership with the State Level Technical Institutions.
- NIFTEM & IIFPT have prepared training modules on 137 ODOPs.
- Under the scheme, 54 Common Incubation Centres have been approved in 17 States and UTs.
- MoFPI in partnership with IIFPT has developed an online portal for submission of Common Incubation Centre proposals and an online common incubation centre map for facilitation of details of incubation centres across India.
List of MoUs signed
Under the PMFME Scheme, MoFPI has signed 3 joint letters with the Ministry of Rural Development, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
i.It has also signed an agreement with the Union Bank of India as the Nodal Bank of scheme. MoUs have been signed with 11 banks as official lending partnerships.
- MoFPI has signed 6 MoUs with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED), the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd. (NAFED), National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC), and Rural Self Employment Training Institutes (RSETI).
MoFPI to commemorate 75 years of India’s Independence
To commemorate 75 years of India’s Independence, under the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav initiative, MoFPI is conducting 75 ODOPs webinars/offline workshops across India in collaboration with States/UTs, NIFTEM, and IIFPT.
- A weekly series of success stories titled “Kahaani Sukshma Udyamon Ki” has been launched to bring 75 stories of existing micro food processing enterprises.
Recent Related News:
May 4, 2021, The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) has issued guidelines for ‘Production Linked Incentive Scheme for Food Processing Industry (PLISFPI)’.
About Ministry of Food Processing & Industries (MoFPI)
Union Minister – Narendra Singh Tomar (Morena, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State – Rameswar Teli (Dibrugarh, Assam)