On April, 14, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a day-long visit to Nagpur for a series of programmes to commemorate 126th birth anniversary of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, the chief architect of Indian Constitution. Firstly, PM Modi visited sacred Deekshabhoomi and paid tributes to Dr. Ambedkar.
PM releases 2 special commemorative postal stamps – Deekshabhoomi and the twin pictures of Lord Gautam Buddha and Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar
On the occasion of Dr. Ambedkars 126th birth anniversary, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released 2 special commemorative postal stamps. One stamp depicts ‘Deekshabhoomi’ in its full glory and the other stamp bears twin pictures of Lord Buddha and Dr. Ambedkar.
- ‘Deekshabhoomi’ is a sacred place associated with Dr. Ambedkar. On October14, 1956, Dr. Ambedkar along with his followers embraced Buddhism at this place.
PM Modi inaugurates new units in Koradi thermal power station in Nagpur
On April 14, 2017 PM Modi inaugurated several units of thermal power plants across Maharashtra, including three super-critical units (660 MWX3) at Koradi, two units (500 MW X 2) at Chandrapur and one of 250 MW at Parli.
- Other dignitaries present at the site were: Devendra Fadnavis – Chief Minister of Maharashtra, C Vidyasagar Rao – Governor of Maharashtra and Nitin Gadkari – Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Shipping.
PM launches BHIM-Aadhar Platform to facilitate digital payments
On April 14, 2017 PM Modi formally launched BHIM-Aadhaar platform for merchants at a function organized by the Niti Ayog at Mankapur Indoor Stadium in Nagpur.
- This BHIM-Aadhar platform has been developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and is based on the Unified Payment Interface (UPI).
- Every Indian citizen (including those who do not have access to smart phones, internet, credit/debit cards) will be able to pay digitally through BHIM-Aadhar platform by using their biometric data like thumb impression on the biometric reader of the merchant.
- Nearly 3 lakh merchants under 27 major banks, already have necessary arrangements in place to facilitate payments using the BHIM-Aadhaar app.
Pm Modi announces incentive platform for BHIM digital Platform
In a bid to encourage cashless transactions through the BHIM-Aadhar platform, PM Modi has announced two incentive schemes.
- Referral Bonus (for consumers): Existing users of BHIM app will get Rs. 10 cash bonus per successful referral. The individual, who adopts BHIM, too will get Rs. 10 credit.
- Cashback (for merchants): The merchants will get cashback for every transaction executed through BHIM-Aadhar platform.
- Rs. 495 crore has been allocated for the above mentioned Referral Bonus and Cashback schemes, which will be operational till October 14, 2017.
Other key events attended by PM Modi in Nagpur:
- Prime Minister graced the 100th and final Digidhan Mela in Nagpur.
- The Mega prize-winners of Lucky Grahak Yojana and Digidhan Vyapar Yojana were felicitated by the PM
- Around 75 townships were declared less-cash places.
- PM performed ground-breaking for 21 upcoming projects in state under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana with an objective to realise the vision of ‘Housing for All by 2022’.
- PM also laid the foundation stones for IIM-Nagpur, new AIIMS and Indian Institute of Information Technology.