On December 15, 2020, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi undertook a visit to Dhordo in Kutch, Gujarat where he virtually laid the Foundation Stone of several development projects in the State viz. world’s largest hybrid renewable energy (RE) park, a desalination plant and a fully automated milk processing and packing plant. These are detailed as below:
Foundation Stone Laid for first-of-its-kind World’s Largest Hybrid Renewable Energy Park at Dhordo
PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the first-of-its-kind world’s largest hybrid RE park, spanning over 72,600 hectares (ha) of waste land with 30,000 megawatt (MW) capacity, during the foundation-stone-laying ceremony held at Dhordo near the India-Pakistan border in Kutch, Gujarat. This park will use both wind and solar energy.
- This energy park will see an investment close to Rs 1.5 lakh crore and provide employment to about 1 lakh people.
- Notably, every year, it will save 5 crore tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
- It will also fulfil India’s vision of generating 450 GW (4,50,000 mw) of power by 2030.
Important facts about plant:
–The approval for the plant was given by the Union Ministry of Defence (MoD).
–There are two zones of this park.
- The first zone will be a hybrid park on 49,600 hectares of land, which means it will use sunlight and wind to generate electricity.
- The second zone will be spread over 23,000 hectares of land and will be wind power based only.
–The park will be constructed between Khawda and Vighakhot villages near India-Pakistan border and will also act as a boundary.
The developers at the park have been directed to develop 50% of the capacity in the next three years and 100% in the next five years. It is envisaged to develop 14,000 MW of RE capacities in the next three years and about 28,000 Mw capacities in the next five years.
- Adani Green Energy Limited (9,500 MW) on 19,000 ha
- NTPC Limited (formerly National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) with 4,750 MW on 9,500 ha
- Sarjan Realties Ltd each with 4,750 MW on 9,500 ha
- Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Ltd (GSECL) with 3,325 Mw on 6,650 ha
- Gujarat Industrial Power Company Ltd (GIPCL) with 2,375Mw on 4750 ha
Points to be noted:
–As of now Bhadla solar park located in Bhadla village in Jodhpur district of Rajasthan is the largest solar park in the world spans a total area of 5,783ha with a total capacity of 2245 MW. It is followed by Pavagada Solar Park located in the Tumakuru district of Karnataka in an area of 5,260 hectares with a total capacity of 2050 MW.
–Gujarat’s Energy Minister Saurabh Patel, who has served as energy minister for 17 years in a row is the longest for any State minister.
–Foundation stone laid for Desalination Plant at Mandvi, Kutch
The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone for the Desalination Plant in Mandvi along the Arabian Sea coast. It will have a 10 crore litre per day capacity (100 MLD) to strengthen water security in Gujarat.
This Desalination Plant will strengthen water security in Gujarat by complementing Narmada Grid, SAUNI network and treated waste water infrastructure.
- Nearly 8 lakh people across the regions of Mundra, Lakhpat, Abdasa and Nakhatrana talukas will receive desalinated water from this plant.
- It is one of the five upcoming desalination plants in Gujarat besides those at Dahej (100 MLD), Dwarka (70 MLD), Ghogha Bhavnagar (70 MLD) and Gir Somnath (30 MLD).
–Foundation stone laid for New Automatic milk processing and packing plant at Sarhad Dehri in Anjar
The foundation stone of a fully automated milk processing and packing plant was also laid at Sarhad Dairy Anjar, Kutch. The plant will cost Rs 121 Crore and will have the capacity to process 2 Lakh Litres of milk per day. It will be set up under the Centre’s Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.
- The new plant will increase the supply of milk and butter milk in Kutch under the Amul (Anand Milk Union Ltd) brand by another 2 lakh litre.
- The Plant will be set up by the Kutch District Cooperative Milk Producers Union, or Sarhad Dairy, between Anjar and Bhachau in the district of Gujarat.
Recent Related News:
i.On 15th September 2020, Gujarat signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to provide capacity building and market support around 35 lakh Micro Small Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) of Gujarat and to increase their self-reliance.
ii.The research of archaeologists of India and Canada found evidence of dairy production in the Indus Valley Civilization. The research discovered that dairy was produced and processed by the Harappans back in 2500 BCE(Before the Common Era). The study was carried out on 59 shards of pottery from the archaeological site in Kotada Bhadli, Gujarat.
Governor – Acharya Devvrat
Chief Minister – Vijay Rupani