Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji has launched the ambitious Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign, which mainly aimes to improve the child sex ratio and also to save & empower girl child. The scheme was launched from Haryana, which has the lowest Child Sex Ratio in country (879 girls per 1,000 boys). The national child sex ratio is 918 girls per 1000 boys.
The scheme will be implemented in 100 districts of the country and the Ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Bollywood Actress Madhuri Dixit has been appointed as the Brand Ambassador of the campaign.
- The meaning of Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao is Save Daughters-Educate Daughters.
- India is home to one-third of the 10 million child brides in the world.
- October 11 is the International Day of the Girl Child. The 2014 theme was Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence.
- In India, as per the 2011 census, Kerala has the highest sex ratio – 1084 girls per 1000 boys.