- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi launched DEEN DAYAL UPADHYAYA GRAM JYOTI YOJANA (DDUGJY) on JULY 25, 2015.
- The main objective of this scheme is to provide round a clock (24×7) electricity supply to farmers and households.
- This scheme is similar to earlier RAJIV GANDHI GRAMEEN VIDYUTIKARAN YOJANA (RGGVY) for electrification to rural areaslaunched by previous UPA Government.
- An outlay of this scheme is Rs 76,000 crore for implementation of the projects under which centre will provide a grant of Rs 63,000 crore.
- Rs 14,680 crore worth project already been approved out of which Bihar state is approved with a project amounting Rs 5,827 crore.
IMPORTANT POINTS IN DDUGJY:
- Feeder separation to ensure sufficient power to rural households and agriculture.
- Strengthening of sub-transmission and distribution infrastructure to improve the quality of the supply.
- Metering at all levels in rural areas.
- All villages and households shall be electrified
- Agriculture yield will be increased.
- Business of Small and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet and mobile etc
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations etc
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development