India-Seychelles High-Level Virtual Event was held on April 8, 2021. Indian Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi & Seychelles President Wavel Ramkalawan participated in the event.
- It was PM Modi’s 1st Interaction with Seychelles President Wavel Ramkalawan. Ramkalawan came to power after a victory in the October 2020 Presidential Elections.
- During the event, they virtually inaugurated several developmental assistance projects funded by India in Seychelles. The projects are in line with PM Modi’s vision of ‘SAGAR-Security and Growth for All in the Region’.
Magistrates’ Court Building
- Both leaders jointly inaugurated the new Magistrates’ Court building in Victoria, the Capital city of Seychelles.
- It is the 1st Indian assisted infrastructure project in Seychelles and has been completed with grant assistance of USD 3.5 Million (~ INR 26.23 Crores) from the Government of India.
1 MW Solar Power Plant
Joint e-inauguration of 1 MW ground-mounted Solar Power Plant built with Indian grant assistance in Romainville Island of Seychelles.
Inauguration of 10 HICDPs
- 10 Indian High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDPs) in Seychelles were e-inaugurated by the Two leaders.
- The projects are aimed at implementing small people-oriented projects which contribute to the socio-economic development and improvement of local communities.
- 29 Projects have been taken up for execution under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
Gifting of ‘PS Zoroaster’ to Seychelles
During the event, PM Modi gifted a 48.9m Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) called ‘PS Zoroaster’ to Seychelles. It has been built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata at a cost of INR 100 Crore.
- It will help in Seychelles Coast Guard to strengthen its surveillance & Safeguarding capacities in its maritime space.
- Zoroaster is the 4th ship to be gifted by India to Seychelles after PS Topaz (2005), PS Constant (2014) & Patrol Boat Hermes (2016).
- Seychelles was the 1st African Country to receive Made in India COVID-19 vaccines.
- Seychelles received 50, 000 doses of ‘Covishield’ vaccine doses from India on January 22, 2021, under India’s Vaccine Maitri Initiative.
Recent Related News:
i.February 5, 2021, Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) has signed a contract with Seychelles for delivering 1 Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) called ‘Zoroaster’ to the Seychelles Coast Guard.
President – Wavel Ramkalawan
Capital – Victoria
Currency – Seychellois rupee