Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on an official visit to Jharkhand to lays the foundation stone of a multi-modal terminal on river Ganga in Sahibganj district on April 6, 2017.In a series of tweets, PM Modi mentioned that construction of Sahibganj multi-modal terminal at Sahibganj will create business and job opportunities in Jharkhand and will particularly benefit people in rural areas.
- Sahibganj terminal is the 2nd out of 3 multi-modal terminals to be constructed on National Waterway-1 (NW-1) from Varanasi to Haldia. In May 2016, Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) had awarded the contract for the construction of a multi-modal terminal at Varanasi. The 3rd terminal is to be constructed at Haldia city in West Bengal.
- PM Modi will also inaugurate the Govindpur-Jamtara-Dumka-Sahebganj Highway, during this visit.
Basic Information about Sahibganj Multi-Modal Terminal:
- Cargo handling capacity:24 Million Tons Per Annum (MTPA) on completion in year 2019
- Estimated Cost: 280 crore. Contract for construction has been given to M/s L&T Infrastructure Ltd.
- Facilities: Terminal buildings, berthing space for two vessels, barge loaders, shore protection works, roads, stockyard, ramps, parking area and conveyor belt system with hoppers.
Expected benefits from Sahibganj Multi-Modal Terminal:
- Roll-on/Roll-off (Ro-Ro) terminal at Sahibganj will provide the much needed connectivity with Bihar at Manihari. Moreover crossing of trucks through Ro-Ro facility would save a lot of time, cost, and fuel.
- On completion, Sahibganj multi-modal terminal will provide critical last mile connectivity to remote areas of Jharkhand.
- Multi-modal terminal along with Ro-Ro terminal is expected to create direct job opportunities for 600 people and will result in indirect employment of about 3000 people.
- Sahibganj multi-modal terminal will facilitate the transport of domestic coal from the local mines in Rajmahal area to various thermal power plants located along National Waterway -1. Other commodities such as stone chips, sugar, fertilizers and cement will also be transported through the terminal.
What is Roll-on/Roll-off (Ro-Ro)?
In context of above mentioned multi-modal terminal, Roll-on/Roll-off refers to a ramp that allows wheeled vehicles, including two-wheelers, four wheelers and other heavy vehicles to roll on or to roll off the ship/vessel which has come to the terminal.
Other Key Events during PM Modi’s Jharkhand Visit:
At Sahibganj, PM Modi also laid the foundation stone of one of the longest river bridges on River Ganga that will connect Sahibganj to Katihar district of Bihar. This 5.8 km long 4-lane bridge will be built by National Highways Authority of India at an estimated cost of Rs 2,266 crore.
- PM Modi also inaugurate the Govindpur-Jamtara-Dumka-Sahebganj Highway, during this visit.
About National Waterway-1 (NW-1) from Varanasi to Haldia:
NW-1, also referred to as Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly river system is being developed under the Jal Marg Vikas Project of the IWAI.
- World Bank is providing technical and financial assistance of Rs. 5369 crore for this project. On completion, this project would enable commercial navigation of vessels with a capacity of 1500-2,000 DWT. NW-1 passes through major cities of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal and will thus benefit industries located along its stretch.
Quick facts about Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI):
IWAI is a statutory body responsible for regulating, developing and maintaining infrastructure for inland waterways in India.
- Formation Year: 1986
- Head Office: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Current Chairman: Nutan Guha-Biswas
- Receives grant from: Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways