With a goal to provide 24-hour power supply to each and every house of the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday launched the National Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS).
(Union Power Minister – Piyush Goel)
Rs 45,000 crore – Country
Rs 572 crore rupees – Varanasi
To provide 24X7 power supply to all by 2022
OBJECTIVES OF IPDS
- Strengthening sub-transmission and distribution system, including provisioning of solar panels
- Metering of distribution transformers/feeders/consumer in urban areas
- IT enablement of distribution sector and strengthening of distribution network as per CCEA approval dated 21.06.2013 for completion of targets laid down under Restructured Accelerated Power Development and Reforms Programme (RAPDRP).
- Roof-top solar panel will be installed in government buildings.
- IPDS will help in reduction in AT&C losses (Aggregate Technical & Commercial).
- IT enabled energy accounting / auditing system will be established.
- Two sub-stations will be set up in Varanasi to help improve power distribution infrastructure in the city.
- Kashi street lights will be converted into LED lights.
At present the government plans to extend this scheme to urban areas only. In 1st phase towns having population up to 15000 may be taken up.