On 15th November 2021, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi inaugurated a series of Tribal Welfare programmes on his visit to Madhya Pradesh. PM Modi launched a welfare scheme named ‘Ration Aapke Gram’ scheme & ‘Sickle Cell Mission’ of Madhya Pradesh. He also laid the foundation stone for construction of 50 new Eklavya Model Residential Schools across India.
i. The Indian Government decided to celebrate 15th November as the ‘Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas’ or ‘Tribal Gaurav Diwas’, every year starting from 2021.
ii. Tribal Gaurav Diwas is celebrated on the birth anniversary of one of India’s greatest tribal leaders – Bhagwan Birsa Munda.
iii. The Inauguration made by PM Modi matched with the celebration of 1st ever Tribal Gaurav Diwas.
- PM Modi inaugurated the redeveloped Rani Kamalapati Railway Station in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- He also inaugurated the 341 km long Purvanchal Expressway in Uttar Pradesh, it is a 6-lane expressway constructed at a cost of ₹22500 crore.
- The highway connects Chaudsarai village in the district of Lucknow and ends at village Hydaria located on National Highway of the Uttar Pradesh-Bihar border.
- The Prime Minister inaugurated the “Bhagwan Birsa Munda Memorial Park cum Freedom Fighter Museum” at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
PM Modi addressed the Nation during the inauguration, where he mentioned about the contribution of Tribal leaders to Indian Freedom Struggle.
Tribal Leaders & Movements Mentioned:
- Gond Maharani Veer Durgavati
- Rani Kamalapati
- Khasi-Garo movement
- Mizo movement
- Kol movement
About Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS):
EMRSs is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs to provide quality residential education to Scheduled Tribes (ST) students from class 6 to 12 in remote areas, which was initiated in 1997-98.
Recent Related News:
In June 2021, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched the Tribal Livelihoods Initiative ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi-Mission Van Dhan’, to fasten various tribal development programs in Mission Mode.
About Madhya Pradesh:
Governor – Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel
Festivals – Lokrang Festival, Khajuraho Dance Festival, Bhagoria Haat Festival
Tribes – Bhil, Gond, Kol, Korku, Sahariya, Baiga