To conform with the concept of Skill India Campaign, and make India the Skill Capital of the World, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid down the foundation stone of the first ever “Indian Institute of Skills” at Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh on December 19, 2016, which would empower the youths to be more employable and self-sustainable.
- Besides, the PM also launched a number of programmes for promoting skill development among the youths of the country, ahead of the Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh in 2017.
- As a part of the programme, the PM distributed skill certificates to Street Food Vendors, Leather industry Workers and felicitated skilled candidates trained under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- PM Modi also addressed his sixth Parivartan Rally in Kanpur as a part of BJP’s election campaign for the ensuing assembly elections in the state.
- The event also witnessed joint partnerships with various industries that will train and employ nearly four lakh youths over the next 3 years.
Various Skill Development Programmes Launched By PM Modi
Indian Institute of Skills
The concept of the Institution was decided by Shri Narendra Modi during his visit to Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education.
- The Institute will be set up by the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in partnership with the Institute of Technical Education, Singapore.
- It is a first ever of its kind Institute in the country inspired by the Singapore model of training and would adopt various best practices from the country. The Ministry has decided to have six such institutes.
National Apprentice Promotion Scheme
PM Modi announced the National Apprentice Promotion Scheme in Uttar Pradesh. The state government will have a major role in the successful implementation of the scheme.
- About 23000 private companies are currently engaged in apprenticeship across the country.
- The Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) aims to encourage state government support to engage more corporates on apprenticeship trainings.
- In the financial year target for 2016-17, the government wants to ensure enrollment of at least 5 lakh apprentices across the country.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs) and Drivers’ Training Institutes
The Prime Minister also announced the launch of 31 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs).
- MSDE plans to open one Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) in each district of the country to create career opportunities for the youth.
- PMKKs would be state-of-the-art skill development centres with modern infrastructure to facilitate skill trainings in the country.
- Besides, the Prime Minister will also announce the launch of Drivers’ Training Institutes. The institutes will train aspiring drivers.
Kaushal Pradarshini (Skill Exhibition)
- PM Modi inaugurated the Kaushal Pradarshini (Skill Exhibition) for the youth of Uttar Pradesh.
- The exhibition showcased vocational training practices across different sectors. It will be open for public at Railway Grounds, Kanpur between December 19-22.