On February 26, 2021, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated the 2nd Edition of Khelo India National Winter Games 2021 in Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir (J&K). The event will take place from February 26-March 2, 2021.
- The 2021 edition of Khelo India Winter games is organized by J&K Sports Council & Winter Games Association of J&K under the aegis of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- The 2nd Edition of the Games is set to see participation from 1200 people, including 600 athletes across 27 States & Union Territories.
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Kiren Rijiju, Lieutenant Governor of J&K, Manoj Sinha were present during the event.
- Apart from sportspersons from States & UTs, Athletes from Indian Army & Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering & Winter Sports are also participating in the games.
- Khelo India National Winter Games is an annual event and was held for the first time in 2020 in two legs at two different venues (Khelo India Ladakh Winter Games, Leh & Khelo India Jammu and Kashmir Winter Games, Gulmarg).
- It aims to strengthen the resolve for ‘Ek Bharat, Shreshth Bharat’ (One India, One Nation).
Disciplines in Winter Games
Sprint, Speed Skating, Ice Hockey, figure Skating, Ice Stock, Giant Slalom, Snowboarding, Vertical Race, Cross Country, Snowshoe, Long distance running, Ski Mountaineering, Skiing & Nordic Ski.
Key Points from PM’s Address:
- The winter games will help boost the tourism sector in Jammu & Kashmir. The games will also help players to perform better in winter Olympics.
- Institutes of Higher education for Sports & Sports University are set to be established soon in India.
- Out of 100 Small Khelo India Centres announced in all districts of J&K, 40 have been approved and the remaining 60 are set to be approved in the next Financial year in Jammu.
- 2 Khelo India State Centres of Excellence (KISCEs) have been opened in J&K for focusing on the disciplines of Judo, Fencing & Rowing.
- 1 Water Sports Facility is also set to be opened in Srinagar by April or May, 2021.
- Mata Vaishno Devi sports complex in Katra, J&K has been given Khelo India academy accreditation.
Global Ranking in Winter Sports
With support from the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, J&K administration aims to improve its ranking from 14 in Winter sports destinations in the world to Top-5.
Note – In 2020, hosts J&K topped the medal tally with a total of 26 golds.
Recent Related News:
i.On January 21, 2021, Kiren Rijiju, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Youth Affairs and Sports inaugurated the 1st ever Khelo India Zanskar Winter Sports & Youth Festival 2021 at Padum in Zanskar of Kargil, Ladakh UT.
About UT of Jammu and Kashmir :
Capital– Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer).
National Parks (NP)– City Forest (Salim Ali) NP , Dachigam NP , Kishtwar NP.