On 8th April 2023, during his visit to Tamil Nadu, Prime Minister(PM) of India Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone and dedicated several projects to the nation at the event held in Alstrom Cricket Ground, Chennai, Tamil Nadu(TN).
- He also inaugurated the New Integrated Terminal Building (Phase- 1) of Chennai International Airport and flagged off the Chennai-Coimbatore Vande Bharat Express in Chennai during his visit.
Inauguration of New Integrated Terminal Building of Chennai Airport
The PM inaugurated the Rs 1,260 crore New Integrated Terminal Building (NITB- Phase 1) aka ‘Golden Terminal’ of Chennai International Airport which will boost passenger handling. It will increase the passenger serving capacity of the airport from 23 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) to 30 MPPA.
- This new terminal is a part of Chennai Airport Modernisation Phase II. It spans over an area of 1,36,295 sqm which will increase the passenger handling capacity of airport to 30 MPPA.
- It is called the ‘Golden Terminal’ due to golden finish to the overall design of the New Terminal.
i.It reflects the local Tamil culture such as the Kolam, saree, temples, and other elements that highlight the natural surroundings.
- The columns are designed to create the visual effect of a palm tree, ceilings are adorned with motif lights, reflecting the Kolam (Rangoli) patterns of South India, and the roof design is derived from the pleated costume of Bharatnatyam, the traditional dance form of the TN.
ii.All the international operations will be moved to NITB.
iii.The terminal’s arrival and departure points have 54 immigration counters each, 11 automatic tray retrieval systems (ATRS) for carry-on baggage and 33 remote boarding gates.
Union Minister Jyotiraditya M. Scindia. Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), TN Governor Ravindra Narayana Ravi, and TN Chief Minister (CM) Muthuvel Karunanidhi Stalin, among others
PM inaugurates second Vande Bharat express train in Tamil Nadu
The PM has inaugurated TN’s second Vande Bharat train namely ‘Chennai–Coimbatore Vande Bharat Express’ that will ply from Chennai to Coimbatore.
- It was flagged off by the PM from Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central Station in the presence of TN’s CM and Governor, and Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, Ministry of Railways.
i.It should be noted that this will be the second Vande Bharat train for the State but the first one that will run within TN. The first Vande Bharat express train service is being operated from Chennai-Mysuru via Bengaluru.
ii.The train will run at 130 kmph which will save 1 hour 20 minutes.
iii.This VB train has eight coaches unlike other VB trains with 16 coaches. It is a significant development as it marks the start of the VB rollout on routes having comparatively lesser passenger count.
Inauguration of other Railway projects:
i.The PM also inaugurated the newly gauge-converted Thiruthuraipoondi-Agasthiyampalli section by flagging off a Diesel-Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) service.
- The 37-km section of new broad gauge has been built at a cost of Rs 294 crore.
ii.He also flagged off a new Tri-weekly Express service between Tambaram and Sengottai which will provide direct connectivity to Chennai for remote stations in the Delta districts of Tiiruvarur and Thanjavur and Ambasamudram in Tirunelveli district.
- This will be the first regular train service from Chennai to the Tiruvarur-Karaikudi section.
Participated in celebrations commemorating the 125th Anniversary of Sri Ramakrishna Math
The PM also participated in the celebrations commemorating the 125th Anniversary of Sri Ramakrishna Math at Vivekananda House in Chennai.
- He also released a book on Holy Trio on the occasion.
Note: Started in Chennai in 1897 by Swami Ramakrishnananda, the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are spiritual organizations engaged in various forms of humanitarian and social service activities.
Inaugurations of Road Projects:
The PM presided over a public programme at Alstrom cricket ground, Chennai, where he inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of road projects worth about Rs 3700 crores.
i.He inaugurated the 7.3 km long Elevated Corridor in Madurai City and the 24.4 km long four-lane road of National Highway 785.
ii.He also laid the foundation stone for the construction of road projects of National Highway-744.
iii.These projects will boost inter-state connectivity between TN and Kerala.
Recent Related News:
i.On 27th February 2023, a short-haul coastal container feeder service, first of its kind in India, was launched between Chennai – Puducherry ports. The container feeder ship, Hope Seven, with a container capacity of 106 Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (TEUs), was flagged off by service between Chennai and Puducherry ports flagged off by Sunil Paliwal, Chairman of Chennai Port Trust at D P World Terminal at the Chennai Port
ii.On March 20, 2023, the Finance Minister of Tamil Nadu (TN) Palanivel Thiaga Rajan presented the TN state budget for 2023-2024-(FY24) stating an annual revenue deficit is reduced from about Rs 62,000 crore to Rs 30,000 crore in Revised Estimates of FY23.
About Tamil Nadu (TN):
Chief Minister– M K Stalin
Governor– R N Ravi
Wildlife Sanctuaries– Megamalai Wildlife Sanctuary, Palani(Kodaikanal) Wildlife Sanctuary
Zoological park– Arignar anna zoological park, Amirthi zoological park
(Arignar Anna Zoological Park, also known as the Vandalur Zoo is the first public zoo in India and was established in 1855)