Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Nov 7, 2015 announced Rs 80,000 crore package for Jammu & Kashmir at mega’ rally at Srinagar’s Sher-i-Kashmir Cricket Stadium.
Package covers :
- The package was besides 35,000 crore for connecting Jammu with Srinagar through a railway link. Total Rs.11708 Cr for new & renewable energy
- It will cover relief for 2014 flood victims, farmers, businessmen, tourism, youth employment and infrastructure in the state.
The Prime Minister vowed to carry forward ex-Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s three-point vision for Kashmir.
- Kashmiriyat (coexistence)
- Jamhooriyat (democracy)
- Insaaniyat (humanity)
- Modi underlined India is incomplete without Kashmiriyat.PM Modi also talked about technological development and establishment of call centres in Kashmir.
- There are nearly 55,000 refugee families who came from West Pakistan in 1947. They have not been given any state subject thereby restricting them from purchasing land and government jobs in the state.
- The number of Kashmiri pandit families is around 59,000 who had to leave the Valley in 1990 in the wake of militancy.
Key points :
- J & K Capital : Jammu (winter)/Srinagar (summer)
- J & K CM : Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- J & K Governor : Narinder Nath Vohra