On 25th September 2017, Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings was released, with RIL,ONGC and IOC in the top rankings.
Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings:
i.The Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings is published by S&P Global Platts annually.The companies are ranked based on financial performance depending on four important factors namely asset worth, revenues, profits, and return on invested capital.
- 1strank was secured by Russian gas firm Gazrpom.
- 2ndrank was bagged by German utility E.ON.
- 3rdrank was obtained by Indian energy producer, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL). RIL has the world’s biggest refinery complex.
- 4thposition was occupied by South Korea’s, Korea Electric Power.
- 5thrank is held by China Petroleum & Chemical.
ii.Other Indian firms in the top of the list are Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) in 7th position and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) in 11th position.
iii.Last year, RIL was in the 7th position, IOC in 14th position, ONGC in 20th position and Coal India in 38th position.
iv.14 Indian companies were listed in the Top 250 this year.
v.Coal India Ltd., has moved down to rank 45 this year. It is the world’s largest coal producer.
vi.Other Indian firms listed in the Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings are Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd with rank 39, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd with rank 48, Power Grid Corporation with rank 81 and GAIL India Ltd with rank 106.
vii.All companies in the list have assets more than $5.5 billion.
About S&P Global Platts:
Industry – Energy, Oil & Gas, Metals, Agriculture
Headquarters – London
President – Mr.Martin Fraenkel