On April 13, 2021, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry Piyush Goyal virtually inaugurated the web portal called ‘e-SANTA’ (Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade in Aquaculture). It is an electronic marketplace providing a platform to connect Aqua Farmers and the Buyers (both at National & International levels).
- e-SANTA is a completely paperless and end-to-end trade platform.
- It is an initiative of NaCSA (National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture) which is an extension of the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- The portal will help farmers to list their products and quote their prices & will enable exporters to directly purchase quality products from the farmers based on their requirements (based on size, location, harvest dates, etc).
- One of the major aims behind the launch of the portal is to eliminate middlemen.
i.This initiation will enhance traceability (ability to trace the history/application/location of an object) which is a key factor in International Trade.
ii.e-SANTA will RAISE the lives & income of farmers by
- Reducing Risk
- Awareness of Products & Markets
- Increase in Income
- Shielding Against Wrong Practice
- Ease of Processes
iii.The platform is equipped with an end-to-end electronic payment system with NaCSA as a supervising agent and will help India to become self-reliant in Aqua Farming.
- The use of modern tools and techniques will help in increasing shrimp production.
- India is the 2nd largest country in aquaculture (which is topped by China) and ranks 3rd in fisheries production.
- Fishing in India employs 14.5 Million People and contributes to 1.07% of the total GDP.
- India celebrates National Fish Farmers Day on July 10.
Recent Related News:
i.On 22nd February 2021, MPEDA signed a MoU with the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) to coordinate their programs in export oriented captures and culture of fisheries and allied sectors to bring better value to the stakeholders.
About National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA):
Established Year – 2007
CEO – K. Shanmukha Rao
Location – Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh