The 19th edition of Asian games, officially called as ‘Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games’ is being held from September 23 to October 8 2023 with China as the host nation.
- As of October 4 2023, India ranks 4th in the medal tally of Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games with 16 gold, 27 Silver and 31 Bronze totalling 74 medals.
- A total of 655 Indian athletes across 40 different sporting disciplines are participating in the games.
- The largest contingent will be participating in athletics with 68 athletes.
- The Part – I of Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games covers events and records and medals won by Indian contingent from September 23 to September 30.
Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games Medal tally (As of 4 October 2023):
|1||People’s Republic of China||167||92||48||307|
|3||Republic of Korea||33||44||68||145|
About Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games:
The games were originally scheduled to take place from 10 to 25 September 2022 but was postponed to 2023 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hangzhou became the third Chinese city to host the Asian Games, after Beijing in 1990 and Guangzhou in 2010.
- Total of 40 sports and 61 disciplines will be conducted and athletes will compete for a total of 483 gold medals.
- Over 12,000 athletes from 45 countries are taking part in the games.
- “Heart to Heart, @Future” is the slogan for the Games.
- “Tides Surging” is the official name of the Emblem.
- Aichi-Nagoya 2026 Asian Games will be hosted by Japan.
China has announced three mascots namely Chenchen, Congcong, and Lianlian, a group of three robot mascots of the Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games. The trio together is called ‘Memories of Jiangnan’ which derives its name from a poem by Bai Juyi (Chinese musician & poet).
- Congcong is yellow, the colour of a bumper harvest.
- Lianlian is coloured green to stand for both life and nature.
- Chenchen (Blue), which represents the Grand Canal which runs from Beijing and finishes in Hangzhou.
The torch of the 19th Asian Games Hangzhou is named “Eternal Flame”. The torch head is characterized by the meaning of Jade Cong. The torch is characterized by Jade Cong and threaded upon with Chinese heritage, natural sceneries and local customs.
The medal of the 19th Asian Games is named Shan Shui, the another core element of the Asian Games, along with the official emblem Tides Surging, mascots Congcong, Chenchen, Lianlian, colour system Meeting the World and torch Eternal Flame.
Indian Record Holders and Gold Medalists (As of September 30 2023):
India bags gold medal in Men’s 10-meter air rifle event
i.Indian men’s 10m air rifle team, including Rudrankksh Patil, Divyansh Singh Panwar, and Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar, scripted history by securing India’s first gold medal in Asian Games 2022.
- They achieved this remarkable feat by setting a new world record score with an overall point tally of 1893.7
Asian Games 2022: India wins first ever medal in 25m Rapid Fire Pistol
i.The Indian men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol team of Adarsh Singh, Anish Bhanwala and Vijayveer Sidhu clinched the bronze medal in the 25m Rapid Fire event with a combined score score of 1718
India wins second Gold in shooting, top finish for Women’s 25 m pistol team
i.The Indian shooting team consisting of Manu Bhaker, Esha Singh and Rhythm Sangwan captured a gold medal in women’s 25 m pistol team event with a total score of 1759 points.
Sift Kaur wins gold in women’s 50m rifle 3P with World Record
i.Sift Kaur Samra and Ashi Chouksey secured gold and bronze respectively in the women’s 50m rifle 3-position individual event.
- Sift Kaur Samra won gold with a world record score of 469.6.
Shooters: Ramita, Mehuli Ghosh, and Ashi Chouksey secures Silver Medal in the 10m Air Rifle Women’s team event at Asian Games
i.The experienced team of Mehuli Ghosh, Ramita Jindal and Ashi Chouksey bagged the women’s team 10m Air Rifle silver medal with a score of 1,886.0.
Indian shooters script history at Asian Games 2022 with 22 medals
i.These 22 medals include 7 gold, 9 silver, and 6 bronze medals across various events.
ii.This was the highest for India’s shooting team in the discipline in Asian Games history.
Indian rowers’ bag two bronze medals in Asian Games
i.India’s rowing team including Jaswinder Singh, Bheem Singh, Punit Kumar and Ashish Goliyan secured a bronze in men’s fours event as they finished third on the podium.
- Indian rowers finished their campaign with a total of five medals
Men’s Coxed Eight team wins silver at Asian Games 2022
i.The Indian team featuring Neeraj, Naresh Kalwaniya, Neetish Kumar, Charanjeet Singh, Jaswinder Singh, Bheem Singh, Punit Kumar, and Ashish secured a remarkable second place in the Men’s Coxed Eight final event.
The Indian women’s cricket team wins the gold medal by defeating Sri Lanka in the final.
i.The Indian women’s cricket team beat Sri Lanka women by 19 runs to win the gold medal at the Asian Games 2022. Sri Lankan team won Silver medal and Bronze went to Bangladesh.
Indian dressage team wins first Asian Games gold, first equestrian yellow metal in 41 years
i.India’s dressage team clinched its first ever Asian Games gold medal with a team consisting of Sudipti Hajela, Divyakriti Singh, Vipul Hriday Chheda and Anush Agarwalla.
- It was only the second medal in this discipline in the history of the sport.
Shot putter Kiran Baliyan wins India’s first athletics medal with bronze
i.Kiran Baliyan became the first Indian woman to win an Asian Games medal in shot put event in 72 years.
- She threw the iron ball to a distance of 17.36m in her third attempt.
Rohan-Rutuja clinch gold in mixed doubles by defeating Taipei
i.Rohan Bopanna and Rutuja Bhosale defeated Chinese Taipei duo Tsung-hao Huang and En-shuo Liang to win gold in mixed doubles.
- The duo won the match by 2-6, 6-3, 10-4 against Chinese Taipei.
India wins gold medal in men’s squash team event after beating Pakistan 2-1
i.Indian men’s squash team beat Pakistan by 2-1 in the final to win the gold medal at the men’s team squash.
Indian Team – Mahesh Mangaonkar, Saurav Ghosal and Abhay Singh.
Manika Batra becomes first Indian singles player to reach table tennis quarterfinals (QFs)
i.Manika Batra created history as she became the first Indian to reach the quarterfinals of the individual table tennis event.
- She defeated Thailand’s Suthasini Sawettabut 4-2.
Yuvraj’s world record shattered, Rohit no longer fastest centurion as Nepal script T20I history in Asian Games
i.In the on-going Asian games 2022, Dipendra Singh Airee (Nepal cricketer) broke Yuvraj Singh’s record of fastest Twenty 20 International (T20I) half-century in 9 balls.
- Dipendra Singh Airee scored 52 runs in 10 balls.
ii.Nepal became the first country to breach the 300-run mark in the shortest format –of the game that is T20 as it scored 314/3 in 20 overs.
iii.Kushal Malla became the fastest centurion in T20I history passing by Rohit Sharma (India) and David Miller (South Africa) to score the fastest T20I hundred, in just 34 deliveries.
About Asian Games:
The Asian Games is held every four years once, with the participation of athletes from all over Asia.
India clinched a total of 70 medals at Jakarta 2018 Asian Games (Indonesia).
Inaugural Asian Games – 1951, New Delhi, Delhi
Organized By – Olympic Council of Asia