Parliament passed a Bill to include certain communities in Scheduled Castes category in the states of Haryana, Karnataka, Odisha and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. The Lok Sabha passed the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, 2015, by a voice vote. The Bill was cleared by the Rajya Sabha on February 24′ 2015.
The Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawar Chand Gehlot said the Union Government is well aware of the problems being faced by the Scheduled Castes (SC) in the country and is completely ready to consider proposals received from states regarding the inclusion of any community in this category.
The Union Government had set up a Rs 200 crore Venture Capital fund to provide soft loan to SC people starting their own business.
As per the bill, the newly added communities are,
- Kabirpanthi and Julaha – Haryana,
- Bhovi, od, odde, Vaddar, Waddar – Karnatka
- Dhoba, Dhobi, Dom, Dombo, Duria Dom, Katia, Kela, Nalua Kela, Khadala and Turi – Odisha
- Chamar – Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Knowledge is Wealth
- The Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) are official designations given to various groups of historically disadvantaged people.
- According to 2011 census, the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes comprise about 16.6 percent and 8.6 percent of India ’s population respectively.
- TThe Constitution under Articles 338 and 338A provides for two statutory commissions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. ie National Commission for Scheduled Castes and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.