Mr P. Kunhikrishnan was appointed as Director of Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR recently. He took over the charge from MYS Prasad who retired in May 2015. Kunhikrishnan was the Deputy Director at VSSC,Thiruvananthapuram.
- His contributions in the fields of System level Quality Assurance of avionics , Electrical Integration and Checkout systems for various launch vehicles of ISRO in his three decades of his career are well known.
- He was also a Project Director of PSLV Project in June 2010 and has accomplished 13 PSLV Missions as Mission Director.
- They include PSLV C-19 that carried RISAT-1, the heaviest remote sensing satellite launched to Sun Synchronous Orbit.
- PSLV-C25, which launched India’s Mars Orbit Spacecraft and four PSLV missions that launched first four satellites of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System IRNSS
Mr Kunhikrishnan is also recipient of ISRO individual merit award of the year 2010 and Astronomical Society of India ASI award for 2011.
Satish Dhawan Space Centre SDSC
- SDSC or Sriharikota Range (SHAR) is a rocket launch center operated by ISRO.
- It is in Sriharikota,Nellore,Andhra Pradesh.
- Present Director is Kunhikrishnan.
- On 5th September 2002, SHAR was named as Satish Dhawan Space Centre in the memory of Satish Dhawan , former ISRO Chairman.
- SHAR will be the main base for Indian human spaceflight program.
- India’s first Mars orbiter ‘‘Mangalyaan” was launched from the centre in 2013.
Indian Space Research Organisation ISRO
- ISRO is space agency of government of India.
- The main objective of this is to advance space technology and use its applications for national benefit.
- Established on 15th August 1969.
- Headquarters is in Bangalore.
- Present Chairman AS Kiran Kumar.
- ISRO built India’s first satellite Aryabhatta.
- It sent its first mission to moon Chandrayaan in 2008