The 3rd G20 (Group of 20) Okayama Health Ministers’ Meeting for the year 2019 was held in Okayama City, Japan from October 19-20, 2019.From Indian side, Union minister of health and family welfare, Science and technology and Earth Science Shri Harsh Vardhan attended the meet.
Focus of the meeting:
Four major global health issues were discussed, they were
- Achievement of Universal Health Coverage.
- Response to population aging.
- Management of health risks.
- Health security management including Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and its containment.
Harsh Vardhan’s speech at the meet:
During the meeting the Union minister of health and family welfare, Science and technology and Earth Science Shri Harsh Vardhan shared the vision of Universal Health Coverage(UHC). Special vision for projected 20% of elderly population in India by 2050 was also discussed.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of ‘Sab KaSaath; Sab KaVikas; Sab KaVishwas'(everyone’s support; Development of all; Trust everyone) for inclusive health along with health schemes such as Ayushman Bharat, FIT India Movement and Eat Right Campaign were also highlighted during the summit.
- G20 member countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, EU, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.
- Guest countries to the summit: Chile, Egypt, Netherlands, Senegal, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Vietnam were the guest countries participated in the summit.
- Guest international organizations: Guest international organizations invited to the summit wereEconomic Research Institute for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and East Asia (ERIA); Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy; International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD),Rome, Italy; International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI),Washington DC, United States; Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD),Paris, France; World Bank(WB), Washington DC, United States, World Food Programme (WFP), Rome, Italy; World Trade Organization (WTO), Geneva, Switzerland; World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Previous meetings: The first G20 health ministers meeting was held at held in Berlin, Germany in May 2017, and the second meeting was held in Mar del Plata, Argentina, in October 2018.
Currency- Japanese yen.
Prime Minister-Shinzō Abe.
Era name- Reiwa.