The 91st Academy Awards (commonly known as Oscars), presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 2018, on February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
Highlights of the 91st Academy Awards:
- It was the first ceremony in three decades, since the 61st Academy Awards in 1989, to be conducted with no host.
- Bohemian Rhapsody won the most awards in total with 4, while Roma, Green Book, and Black Panther won 3 awards each.
- India-set short film, “Period. End of Sentence.”, a short documentary film based on menstruation won the Oscar for “Best Documentary Short” category. It is directed by Iranian-American film director, Rayka Zehtabchi.
- ”Black Panther” became the first superhero film to win “Best Original Score”.
- ”Roma” created history by becoming the first Mexican feature to win “Best Foreign Film” Oscar.
- Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart became the first African-Americans to win Oscar in Product Design category for Black Panther.
AMPAS presented Academy Awards in 24 categories and the list of the winners is as follows:
|Best picture||Green Book|
|Best actress||Olivia Colman – The Favourite|
|Best actor||Rami Malek – Bohemian Rhapsody|
|Best supporting actress||Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk|
|Best supporting actor||Mahershala Ali – Green Book|
|Best director||Alfonso Cuaron – Roma|
|Best original screenplay||Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter Farrelly – Green Book|
|Best adapted screenplay||Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott and Spike Lee – BlacKkKlansman|
|Best animated feature||Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse|
|Best foreign language film||Roma – Mexico|
|Best documentary feature||Free Solo|
|Best original song||Shallow (A Star Is Born) – Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt|
|Best original score||Ludwig Goransson – Black Panther|
|Best production design||Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart – Black Panther|
|Best costume design||Ruth E Carter – Black Panther|
|Best cinematography||Alfonso Cuaron – Roma|
|Best visual effects||Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and JD Schwalm – First Man|
|Best make-up and hairstyling||Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney – Vice|
|Best sound editing||John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone – Bohemian Rhapsody|
|Best sound mixing||Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin and John Casali – Bohemian Rhapsody|
|Best film editing||John Ottman – Bohemian Rhapsody|
|Best animated short||Bao|
|Best documentary short||Period. End of Sentence.|
|Best live action short||Skin|
- First awarded in – 1929
- Frequency – Annual
- Creator – George Stanley
- Presented by – AMPAS