On December 24, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on a day long visit to the state of Odisha.
PM’s inauguration of projects worth Rs.15000 crores:
On his day long visit to Odisha, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated projects worth around Rs 15,000 crore in Odisha.
i. These projects are the part of Mr Modi’s vision of ‘Purbodaya – a prosperous East for building a new India’.
ii. They consist of projects related to health, road and highways, higher education and culture.
iii. A brief description of the projects are as follows:
- The Prime Minister inaugurated and dedicated the new campus of IIT-Bhubaneswar at Aragul built at a cost of 1660 crore rupees.
- IIT Bhubaneswar would spur the industrial development of Odisha, and work towards technology to improve the lives of the people.
- He also released a commemorative stamp and coin on the Paika Rebellion.
- The Paika Rebellion (Paika Bidroha) was fought against British rule, in Odisha in 1817. This year marks 200th anniversary of the 1817 Rebellion led by Buxi Jagabandhu of Khorda district against the Britishers.
- He also announced setting up of a Chair on the Paika Rebellion, in Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Mr Modi also inaugurated ESIC hospital in Bhubaneshwar costing 73.5 crore rupees.
- He also inaugurated the Lalitgiri Archaeological Museum. Lalitgiri in Odisha is a famous Buddhist centre of archaeological importance, comprising Stupa, Viharas (monasteries) and images of Lord Buddha.
- The prime minister also laid foundation stones for two projects — Indian Oil’s pipeline from Paradip to Hyderabad at a projected cost of 3,800 crore rupees and GAIL’s gas pipeline from Angul to Bokaro in Jharkhand at a projected cost of 3,437 crore rupees under the Urja Ganga Yojana.
- Plastic park and polypropylene project are coming up in Paradip near the Indian Oil refinery, a biofuel plant is being set up in Bargarh and a strategic oil reserve is being established in Chandikhole.
- The Prime Minister mentioned the plans to expand the healthcare infrastructure, road network, and oil and gas pipeline infrastructure in the State.
- He mentioned the Union Government’s aim to develop eastern India as the gateway to South-East Asia.
- He also addressed a public meeting at Barunei near Khurda.
- Odisha is one of the State which hadnt implemented
♦ Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik.
♦ Governor: Prof. Ganeshi Lal.
♦ Lakes : Chilika Lake, Kanjia Lake, Anshupa Lake, Balimela Reservoir.
♦ Dams: Rengali Dam, Kala dam, Pitamahal Dam, Kansbahal Dam, Tikhali Dam, Deras Dam, Salia Dam, Ghodahada Dam, Kuanria Dam.
♦ Festivals: Kalinga Mahotsav, Chandan Yatra, Durga Puja, Konark Dance Festival, Rath Yatra, Deepabali, Kumar Purnima