On December 18, 2018, the President of the Republic of Maldives, H.E. Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Solih concluded his maiden 3-day state visit to India.
The President of Maldives was accompanied by his wife First Lady Fazna Ahmed and a high level delegation comprising of Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdulla Shahid and others.
- This was President Solih’s first visit abroad after assuming the office of President of the Republic of Maldives on 17 November 2018.
- Maldives President Solih along with First Lady received with ceremonial welcome of 21-gun salute at Raj Bhavan in New Delhi.
Visit to India:
On December 16, 2018, the President of the Republic of Maldives, H.E. Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Solih commenced his 3-day state visit to India at the invitation of the Prime Minister of the Republic of India, Mr Narendra Modi.
Meeting with External Affairs Minister of India:
On December 17, 2018, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih met External Affairs Minister of India, Smt. Sushma Swaraj in New Delhi.
- They had discussion on all aspects of bilateral ties, including development cooperation, human resource development & people-to-people exchanges.
Meeting with the Prime Minister of India:
On 17 December 2018, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and held bilateral delegation level talks at the Hyderabad House.
i. They discussed on the following matters:
- Health cooperation issues particularly cancer treatment
- Mutual Legal Assistance on Criminal Matters
- Investment promotion
- Human Resource Development
ii. Other important decisions taken in the bilateral meeting are as follows:
- Prime Minister announced financial assistance up to US$ 1.4 billion in the form of budgetary support, currency swap and concessional lines of credit to fulfil the socio-economic development programmes of the Maldives.
- Government of India to provide 1000 additional slots over next 5 years for training and capacity building in diverse fields including judicial, policing and law-enforcement, etc.
- The leaders signed the new Agreement on Visa Facilitation.
- They also agreed to strengthen cooperation to enhance maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region.
- They decided on establishment of enabling infrastructure that would promote the exchange of goods and services, information, ideas, culture, and people.
- Maldives to support for India’s candidature for permanent membership of an expanded and reformed UN Security Council and India’s candidature for non-permanent seat for the year 2020-21.
- Maldives to re-join the Commonwealth and became the newest member of the Indian Ocean Rim Association.
4 MoUs were signed between India and Maldives:
On December 17, 2018, after successful completion of the delegation level talks between the PM of India and President of Maldives, 4 MOUs were signed. They are as follows:
- Agreement on the Facilitation of Visa Arrangements
- Memorandum of Understanding on Cultural Cooperation
- Memorandum of Understanding for Establishing Mutual Cooperation to Improve the Ecosystem for Agribusiness;
- Joint Declaration of Intent on Cooperation in the field of Information & Communications Technology and Electronics.
Meeting with the Vice-President of India:
On December 17, 2018, Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu met with the President of Maldives, Mr. Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi.
Meeting with the President of India:
On December 17, 2018, President Kovind met his Maldivian counterpart Ibrahim Solih and the first lady Fazna Ahmed at Rashtrapati Bhawan inNew Delhi.
- Maldives President Solih paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi in Raj Ghat, the memorial dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi.
- On the last leg of his tour, the President went to visit Agra to witness the Taj Mahal and its grandeur.
Earlier, Prime Minister, Shri Modi visited Maldives to attend your swearing-in ceremony of the President of Maldives in November 2018.
♦ Capital: Male.
♦ Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa.