On December 3, 2018, External Affairs Minister (EAM) Smt. Sushma Swaraj embarked on a 2-day national visit to United Arab Emirates (UAE) for attending the two day 12th India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) for Economic and Technical Cooperation in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Visit to United Arab Emirates (UAE):
On December 3, 2018, External Affairs Minister, Smt. Sushma Swaraj reached UAE and was warmly received by Foreign Minister of UAE Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
i. She co-inaugurated in the 12th session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) for Economic and Technical Cooperation, held on 03-04 December, 2018, in Abu Dhabi.
Two day 12th India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) for Economic and Technical Cooperation:
On December 3, 2018, External Affairs Minister Smt. Sushma Swaraj participated in the two day 12th session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) for Economic and Technical Cooperation in Abu Dhabi. The meeting concluded on December 4, 2018.
i. The meeting was co-chaired by:
- EAM of India, Smt. Sushma Swaraj and
- Foreign Minister of the UAE, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
ii. In the JCM, the two sides discussed all the areas of mutual interest including:
- Trade & Commerce; Investments; Energy Security; Agriculture & Food Security; Railways; Defence and Space; Security and Combating Crime; Education & Culture; Civil Aviation; Consular, Immigration and Indian Community related issues.
India & UAE signed 2 MOUs following the 12th JCM meeting:
On December 4, 2018, following the 2-day JCM meeting between India and UAE, the 2 countries signed 2 MOUs.
i. The following MOUs were signed between the two countries:
|Sl. No.||Name of MOU/Agreement||Signatory from Indian Side||Signatory from UAE’s side|
|1||Currency Swap Agreement
(Between the Reserve Bank of Indiaand the Central Bank of the UAE)
|Ambassador of India to UAE, Shri Navdeep Suri||Dy. Governor of Central Bank of UAE|
|2||MoU on Development Cooperation in Africa
(For establishing a Centre of Excellence in Information Technology (CEIT) in the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.)
|Secretary (Economic Relations)||Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation|
Meeting with the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi:
- On December 4, 2018, EAM Sushma Swaraj called on the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- They discussed about the discussions in the JCM, particularly with respect to energy, space, railways etc.
EAM launched Gandhi-Zayed Digital Museum in Abu Dhabi:
On December 4, 2018, EAM Sushma Swaraj along with the Foreign Minister of the UAE, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan co-inaugurated the Gandhi-Zayed Digital Museum in Abu Dhabi.
This marked the celebrations of 150 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s birth and centenary celebrations of the birth of Shaikh Zayed, founder of the UAE.
- On December 4, 2018, before her return to India EAM Smt. Sushma Swaraj greeted the Indian community in UAE and acknowledged their contribution in strengthening the India-UAE ties.
- UAE hosts a 3.3 million strong Indian community which is the largest number of Indians outside India.
- His Highness, the Sultan of Sharjah will visit New Delhi, India, to take part in the Delhi Book Fair as the Guest of Honor which is scheduled to happen in 2019.
- The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was the chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations in January 2017.
♦ Capital: Abu Dhabi.
♦ Currency: UAE dirham.