The External Affairs Minister(EAM) of India, Dr S Jaishankar paid an official visit to Indonesia and Singapore from September 4-10, 2019.
Visit to Indonesia (September 04-06, 2019)
Dr. S. Jaishankar EAM visited Indonesia and it was his first bilateral visit in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region and maiden visit to Indonesia, after assuming charge as External Affairs Minister.
Bilateral trade target of $50 billion by 2025
- India and Indonesia have committed to reach a target of$50 billion bilateral trade by 2025. In 2018, the trade between the two nations crossed $20 billion.
- Indonesia requested India to reduce tariff for its palm oil.
India, Indonesia condemn ‘Selective Approaches’ in dealing with terrorism
India and Indonesia unequivocally condemned terrorism and the selective approaches in dealing with terrorism and affirmed their shared interests in the territorial integrity and unity.
- EAM presided over the web launch of the Representative office of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in Jakarta, Indonesia. Mr. Thomas Trikasih Lembong, Chairman of Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board was also present at the inaugural function.
- EAM launched a commemorative stampto mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Indonesia invited India to join Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand-Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) as the Dialogue Partner.
- EAM visited the National Museum of Indonesia.
Meeting with Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi
- EAM Dr S Jaishankar met Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudiand held bilateral talks on a number of regional, global, economic, political and security issues. He invited him to visit India for the Joint Commission Meeting to be held later in 2019.
- They agreed to strengthen Indo-Pacific cooperation.
- They agreed to step up cooperation in connecting Aceh and Andaman and Nicobar islands to promote trade, tourism and people-to-people contacts. Aceh province is located on the northern end of Sumatra. In 2018, India and Indonesia had agreed to set up a special task force to enhance connectivity between the strategic Andaman and Nicobar Islands and provinces in Sumatra Island.
Meeting with Jusuf Kalla, Vice President of Indonesia
EAM called on Jusuf Kalla, Hon’ble Vice President of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and discussed steps to further scale up the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between India and Indonesia. He extended an invitation to Vice President to join the launch of the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) initiative at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- EAM met Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Gen(Retd) Luhut Binsar Pandjaitanand discussed on closer cooperation between Andaman and Nicobar and Aceh.
- He met coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs,Gen (Retd) H. Wiranto and discussed on cooperation in counter terrorism and defence.
- He called on the former President and Chairwoman of Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) Megawati Sukarnoputri and recalled her strong association with India. He also extended an invitation to visit India.
Visit to Singapore (September 6-10, 2019)
EAM Dr S Jaishankar visited Singapore, a valued strategic partner, from 6-10 September 2019. He was accompanied by Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Hardeep S. Puri. He was received by Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.
The Next Phase- Business & Innovation Summit 2019
On September 9-10, 2019, India-Singapore: The Next Phase- Business and Innovation Summit 2019 was inaugurated at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore. It was attended by EAM Dr S Jaishankar, his counterpart Vivian Balakrishnan and was moderated by Singapore’s Ambassador-at-Large Professor Tommy Koh.
- It was organized by the High Commission of India, in partnership with agencies of the Governments of India and Singapore, chambers of commerce, professional associations and innovation labs.
- It had 2 inter-related conferences: A business event and the third edition of the India-Singapore Innovation and Start-up platform – InSpreneur.
- It included a session on ‘Setting the future framework on Trade’, chaired by Chandrajeet Banerjee, Director General, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Business chambers like CII, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) and PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry had participated along with state delegations from Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Punjab and Uttarakhand.
- Mr Hardeep Singh Puri, India’s Minister of State for Housing, Urban Affairs, Civil Aviation and Commerce and Industry, also addressed the India Singapore Business Summit.
- Finance, infrastructure development and macro-economics were on the agenda for the second day of the India-Singapore: The Next Phase’ Business Summit.
- Singapore is India’s top foreign investor in 2018-2019 and around 20% of outbound investment from India is going to Singapore.
- India is the third-largest source of tourists to Singapore.
InSpreneur3.0- Start-Up and Innovation Exhibition 2019
EAM visited InSpreneur3.0 -Start-up and Innovation Exhibition 2019 along with his Singaporean counterpart Vivian Balakrishnan. There were around 60 startups from India including 1 from the Atal Tinker Labs set up by the union government.
6th Joint Ministerial Commission 2019
The 6th Joint Ministerial Commission for 2019 was chaired by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Singapore counterpart Vivian Balakrishnan. They reaffirmed their shared commitment to fully realise the enormous potential of their bilateral relations.
EAM visited INA memorial in Singapore.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met Singapore senior minister Teo Chee Heanand discussed the challenges and opportunities of a changing world. Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri was also present in the meeting.
- EAM met Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Singand discussed about scaling up trade and investment.
- He met Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong and held talks with him.
- He met Singapore Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Heng Swee Keatand the two leaders discussed new avenues of relationship through the opportunities provided by “New India.”
- He held a meeting with Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.
- He called on Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loongand discussed on bilateral ties and the issues concerning the world.
♦ Capital: Jakarta
♦ Currency: Indonesia rupiah
♦ Currency: Singapore dollar
♦ Capital: Singapore City