The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the following proposals on October 23, 2019:
Cabinet approves regulations for conferring ownership or mortgage/ transfer rights to 40 lakh residents in Delhi:
Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Shri Hardeep Singh Puri announced the union cabinet’s approval for the regulations to confer or recognise the ownership/mortgage (collateral loan)/transfer rights to 40lakh residents of 1,797 unauthorised colonies(UCs) spread around 175kms in Delhi. The bill would be introduced in the winter session of the parliament in november 2019.
- By this regulation approval, property transactions can be made by the property holders with valid documents who previously lacked ownership of transfer rights etc.
CCEA approves MSP for Rabi Crops of 2019-20:
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), approved to increase the Minimum Support Price(MSP) for all Rabi crops (agricultural crops that are sown in winter and harvested in the spring in India) of 2019-20 that are to be marketed in the Rabi season of 2020-21.
- The increase in MSP for Rabi Crops for RMS (Rabi Marketing Season) 2020-21 is in line with fixing the MSPs at a level of at least 1.5 times of the all India weighted average cost of production (CoP). Thus farmers will be assured 50% as margin of profit, all the way leading to the govt’s aim of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
- Highest MSP: For the Rabi crops of RMS 2020-21, the highest increase in MSP was recommended for lentil which would be Rs. 325/quintal.
- The procurement of the rabi crops will be done by the state govt. under the National Food Security Act(NFSA). The losses incurred will be fully undertaken by the govt, as per the guidelines.
- Schemes boosting farmers’ income: Some of the schemes that boost the farmers’ income are Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN), where farmers holding land upto 2 hectare would be given Rs.6000 per annum, Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan” (PM-AASHA) that has 3 sub schemes namely Price Support Scheme (PSS), Price Deficiency Payment Scheme (PDPS) and Private Procurement & Stockist Scheme (PPSS) on a pilot basis.
Approval to review guidelines for Granting Authorization to market Transportation Fuels:
The cabinet committee approved to review the guidelines for granting authorization in marketing transportation fuels such as petrol and diesel.
- Existing policy: The existing policy had not undergone any changes for the past 17 years (since 2002).
- New policy benefits: The new policy will improve the “Ease of Doing Business” and also encourage investment from the private and foreign sectors. It would create new jobs and setting up of new retail outlets(ROs) would also result in better competition.
BSNL & MTNL: The union cabinet also approved the merger of telecom companies Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) and also announced revival plan of both those companies.
About cabinet committee:
- There are 8 cabinet committees.
- The 8 cabinet committees are Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, Cabinet Committee on Accommodation, Economic Affairs, Parliamentary Affairs, Political Affairs, Security. Two more cabinet committees namely the Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development and the Investment and Growth under second Narendra Modi government.
- Apart from the parliamentary affairs committee and the accommodation committee, the
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is the head of 6 other committees. Those two remaining committees (parliamentary affairs and accommodation) are chaired by Home
Minister Amit Shah.