On December 13, 2019 Minister of External Affairs(MEA) Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid co-chaired the 6th Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) between India and Maldives in New Delhi. The meeting was held on part of Abdulla Shahid’s 5 day (December 10-14) official visit to India. The meeting was held after a gap of 4 years. The meeting in brief are as follows:
3 MoUs signed during JCM:
India and Maldives signed 3 Memorandum of Understanding during the meeting and are as follows:
|Si.No||MoU signed Field||Indian side MoU signing|
|1||Cooperation between the election commissions of India and Maldives.||Shri Chandra Bhushan Kumar, Deputy Election Commissioner(EC)|
|2||Cooperation between their Financial Intelligence Units(FIU) of India and Maldives.||Shri Pankaj Kumar Mishra, Director of FIU|
|3||Instrument of Ratification(also MoU) for the treaty on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters of India and Maldives.||Ambassador of India in Maldives, Shri Sunjay Sudhir|
Key highlights of the meeting
- Working on extension of National Knowledge Network (NKN) to Maldives to strengthen academic, research and commercial links between the two countries was agreed.
- India and Maldives agreed to work on the construction of a state-of-the art Cancer hospital in Hulhumale, Maldives. The govt also plans to recruit Indian nurses to Maldives in this regard.
- Both the nations discussions on organizing the Festival of India in Maldives in 2020.
- 7th JCM meet: The 7th edition of the JCM meeting between India and Maldives was decided to be held in the Maldives in 2021.
- Meet with PM Modi: Abdulla Shahid met Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi where India’s commitment to partner the Government of the Maldives for a strong, democratic, prosperous and peaceful Maldives was reiterated. Click here to know more.